The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Read Only
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really tried to haggle on new, but has anyone successfully haggled a discount on their used stuff?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I usually offer a reasonable number tax included that’s a bit lower than what I want to pay. But see what they can do first then make your offer after you’ve already moved them down a bit that way you are in a stronger bid sequence. I recently picked up a new Firebird for 25 percent off the already reduced price and that was their offer based on me asking what they could do. I was only looking for 20 percent as my number but their offer was 25 off so I just said yeah I’ll take it. Also, they need to get the impression that you are serious about buying it and don’t come across as some kind of dick that no one is gonna want to do anything for.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
i find any trade ins they take in are priced pretty low to move quickly, at least at the Windsor L&M.
I bought a used Squier Affinity Strat to use as a "Campfire Mentality Guitar", it was in near mint condition, plays great for $79.

·
Registered
14,880 Posts
i find any trade ins they take in are priced pretty low to move quickly, at least at the Windsor L&M.
This is often the case--and if it doesn't move they will often lower the price any way.

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
885 Posts
I've had excellent luck making deals happen with my local L&M. Not on everything, but where it counts. They understand customer service quite well.

W.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I’ve gotten some deals on used gear at L&M. They seem willing to move a little on the price. To date I’ve gotten a 5 string Ibanez bass for $80 out the door and a Blues driver for $65.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
for %$#$% sakes the used stuff is priced fair. If you can't afford it move along. Keep nickel and dimeing them and there will be no store front retail left in Canada.

·
Registered
726 Posts
This thread has me thinking. I’ve never haggled once on used gear at L&M, and I’ve bought a ton of it.

However, as mentioned above, the prices were so good I’d have felt silly doing so.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
This thread has me thinking. I’ve never haggled once on used gear at L&M, and I’ve bought a ton of it.

However, as mentioned above, the prices were so good I’d have felt silly doing so.
Same. Used stuff I've bought (mostly PA) has been priced so low, it never occured to me to haggle.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
My local store doesn't seem to haggle. That is particularly true on used stuff as they have the amount they paid for it and they don't seem to want to move from what they set the price at. Then again, as has been mentioned the used prices are usually quite good so there is little need to haggle.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I was in the Windsor Store yesterday,
FYI,.......... they have a used absolute mint condition Epiphone B.B. King Lucille $700, and absolute mint condition Godin A6 Ultra natural W/Soft Case. $620. Big savings on both of these.

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
I seem to recall them dealing more 15 or 20 years ago than now. But I've live in a few different cities/dealt with different stores in that time, so there's lots of variables. Maybe better salesmen at the stores I deal with now - they just look in my eyes and know I'm weak, barely containing my lust for it ----- "Sorry. That's our best price. Want me to get the case?"

In reality, we all have our own value systems. I think we all know what we think something's worth and sometimes their tagged prices on used stuff is so cheap it's like stealing it. If it isn't and they aren't will to deal, I'm OK with that. I've seen both ends of that spectrum. I obviously didn't want it bad enough. Maybe the next guy will.

Sometimes, if it's been there for a while, they are more motivated to move it along. Unlike new stuff, there's lots of variables at play in the used market.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
It seems to depend a lot on what makes an item "used" as well. For example, I've seen them list a lot of pedals that are literally only a few dollars less than retail. It seems that those were either items that were purchased & returned within 30 days (so new-ish, but not technically new) or rental gear that "hadn't been rented out much yet". They were not willing to offer a discount on any of that stuff, so I just ordered new instead. Not really sure how they intend on moving that kind of used stuff.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I bought a j-45 Gibson acoustic that they had as a rental in Winnipeg. It had some pick marks on the top made by an aggressive strummer. I paid a bit to have it shipped to Ontario. I paid about half of what it would have cost new. Didn't need to haggle, I just wanted to pay for it before they reconsidered. Even the salesperson was surprised.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts