The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if any one has recent experience with Cosmo Music and if they are negotiable at all? I’m looking at a custom shop Gibson and would be travelling from out of town. Would they do tax off? Etc. Any personal stories would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Depends what it is and the circumstances. I got approx 25 percent off Cosmo’s floor price on a new Firebird that had been in the store for a couple of years. Some shop wear but nothing terrible and it’s a good guitar. So they will negotiate and I think to some extent any seller has to believe that you are serious about buying. Im no big time wheeler dealer but I’ve managed to get good amounts knocked off two high end Martins and the Firebird all in different stores around TO. I usually offer an amount tax included.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
I was in there not long ago. I talked to a sales guy in length about it. I was interested in a custom shop tele they had. He said they are much more open to a guitar thats been there a while rather than something that they haven't had for very long. I've seen some guitars that have been there quite a while that they will discount to try and move.

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
Cash is king and pretty much any retailer will make a negotiation if you know how to negotiate well.

Im a bit lazy so I just wait for the price i want.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I thought I read somewhere that they don’t budge so that’s promising.

·
Registered
24,671 Posts
Credit-card companies charge retailers for credit-card purchases, so I would imagine that cash purchases can be negotiated, though obviously not by a large amount.

And while I have never dealt with Cosmo, I suspect that most sensible retailers would prefer to take a modest hit on an item that has sat gathering dust, rather than be resolute on the price until they have the going-out-of-business sale. Of course, the criteria for what counts as "gathering dust" can vary. I've seen items advertised in Vintage Guitar magazine by the same place, at the same ridiculous price, for several years...every stinking month. It`s possible they didn't bother to change the stock listing, but it's also possible the dealer thought "Some day someone will walk in and pay that price".

·
Premium Member
10,034 Posts
I was in there not long ago. I talked to a sales guy in length about it. I was interested in a custom shop tele they had. He said they are much more open to a guitar thats been there a while rather than something that they haven't had for very long. I've seen some guitars that have been there quite a while that they will discount to try and move.
Probably a good general rule for deals.

I hate when someone sends me a real aggressive offer the same day I list something. I’m much more likely to negotiate a few weeks later.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
88 Posts
YUP.....but it does depend upon the product you are wanting to get. I recently picked up a brand new in box Mesa JP-2C limited edition for an absolutely stellar price from them. Far, Far cheaper then their advertised sale price that they had it at about a month ago as I did some homework on it. It was the right timing and they were wanting to move the inventory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts