The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing police foundations in college, and thought I had the vision requirement to become a cop with Peel Regional (20/40), but turns out I have worst vision then that.

Basically if I can't get my eyes fixed, I have no future :)

Can someone give me details on laser eye surgery? Does it always work? What are the chances of getting rejected from the surgery? What is the price? Any info would be most welcome.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have heard of good results...a couple of my parents friends have had it, and it worked for them anyway. Hope it all works out well for you :(

·
Registered
697 Posts
My Mother got it ...probably about a year ago...
It was 3000 dollars, but thats in atlantic canada.
It depends what your vision is like, are you near sighted, far sighted, always had bad vision?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Mother got it ...probably about a year ago...
It was 3000 dollars, but thats in atlantic canada.
It depends what your vision is like, are you near sighted, far sighted, always had bad vision?
$3000? holy #@$(. How were the results?

Yea my vision is just crap, not near sited or far sited, just blurry all around it sucks...I live in Ontario and I saw prices ranging from $499 per eye to $899 per eye, but yea I'd imagine prices are inflated over in the east

·
Registered
247 Posts
I know a few people who have had it done, all with great success. Only a couple of days until your vision fully recovers.

You should be able to get it done for around $1000 in T.O.

·
Registered
944 Posts
My dad has had it done a few times, including laser cateract removal with super results! :smile:

But as a senior, it didn't cost him a dime... BC Medical covered it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
It made her vision 20/15.

She wouldve paid 2000$ but she wanted the doctor she knew.

Most come with a lifetime warranty so if your vision deteriorates, you get it again for free.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You should be able to get it done for around $1000 in T.O.
I too know people who have had it done with great success... However, I really don't think it's the kind of thing to be looking for a bargain on.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I had it done on my left eye....initial cause was to remove a cataract...caused by head trauma....and they threw in a lense while they were at it....was my bad eye, now better than my right eye. find it sometimes bothersome to drive at night due to "sparkling" lights from on coming cars. need glasses for reading.
My surgery was covered 100% bu OHIP. except for some initial glare, was using the eye the next day.
would highly recommend. I would be talking to my eye doctor and see what OHIP covers.

good luck
RIFF

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
I find it sometimes bothersome to drive at night due to "sparkling" lights from on coming cars.

Oh yeah. But mine is more from the blurry eye superimposed over the good eye. Happens only at night. Can't wait to get the other lens done.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

but seriously, a friend of mine had it done, really worked great for him.

C

·
0 Posts
I have a couple of chums who've had LASIK done, and they said it was such a good deal, the benefits were so sweet that they'd pay all over to have it redone if they ever had to.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had it done on my left eye....initial cause was to remove a cataract...caused by head trauma....and they threw in a lense while they were at it....was my bad eye, now better than my right eye. find it sometimes bothersome to drive at night due to "sparkling" lights from on coming cars. need glasses for reading.
My surgery was covered 100% bu OHIP. except for some initial glare, was using the eye the next day.
would highly recommend. I would be talking to my eye doctor and see what OHIP covers.

good luck
RIFF

Yea that's exactly where I'm going today, to speak to my doctor and see if it's covered.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Only regrets

I regret doing it. Totally and completely.

I was near-sighted all my life, nearly three years ago I got both eyes lasered to correct (one at a time, two-weeks apart) My left eye healed to 20/20 and is still good, but my right eye soon regressed and was near-sighted again. Now, this is somewhat normal, they'll warn you that it isn't always perfect on the first try, due to the way eyes heal differently. Problem is, you have to wait a long time to see how far this regression will continue. 9 months in my case. Once it's stable for a good 3 to 6 months they'll do a second surgery (they call it a 'touch up', even though it's the same process over again).

What they do the second time around is OVER-calculate the correction amount, assuming it will regress again by the same amount and in the end your vision will be perfect. Well, guess what - it's a year since my 'touch up' and my right eye is NOT EVEN CLOSE to perfect. It's considerably FAR-sighted now. I recently had an assessment as to whether I can even be treated for a third time. There's only so much cornea to burn off, after all. Haven't heard back yet but I'm not even sure I want to put this eye under the laser again... maybe I should cut my losses.

I also have lousy nightvision now in both eyes. The moon in the night sky looks like 3 moons overlapping and two are translucent. I also have dry, tired feeling eyes at all times, especially the twice-lasered right eye. I get headaches because of the difference between the two eyes. I guess if I was luckier and had the right eye turn out as good as the left, I wouldn't complain so much about it. I've been reliant on my left eye ever since, my right eye vision is useless. I thank GOD I didn't have this problem with BOTH eyes. That would have turned this ordeal from upsetting to tragic!

So.. if I could go back in time, NO WAY would I do it again. Especially since I had no previous eye health issues, I only had to wear glasses.

·
Registered
83 Posts

but seriously, a friend of mine had it done, really worked great for him.
Bond: "So, Goldfinger, do you expect me to talk?"
Goldfinger: "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE!"

Sorry, but I couldn't help but to hijack the thread. It's such a classic scene!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I regret doing it. Totally and completely.

I've been reliant on my left eye ever since, my right eye vision is useless. I thank GOD I didn't have this problem with BOTH eyes. That would have turned this ordeal from upsetting to tragic!

So.. if I could go back in time, NO WAY would I do it again. Especially since I had no previous eye health issues, I only had to wear glasses.
Sorry to hear about this experience. Yours is the first bad case I've encountered that wasn't "fixed".

To the original poster: there are two established procedures that are still the most popular. LASIK and PRK. LASIK keeps a corneal flap while cutting the prescription into a layer underneath. Results are pretty much immediate. PRK burns away the outer corneal layer, cuts the prescription, and allows the outer layer to grow back. Eyes usually stabilize after a month or so. Depending on the prescription strength and thickness of your cornea, this latter procedure may not be available to you.

The thing is, in your chosen line of work you do run the risk of trauma to the head which favours the PRK process. I say this because after LASIK, the corneal flap is held in place by suction and the little bit of healed tissue along the outside rim. If this is dislodged, torn, etc. from a collision or some such, you are looking at a full corneal transplant.

It was for this reason I chose PRK. Yes the final results took a little longer but it was worth it to me. BTW, I started with a -4.75 (20/300) and ended up with a smooth 20/15 which has been stable for 6 years now.

Also, the newer lasers don't give the haloing of the previous generations because they cut a much finer resolution hex pattern.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How does someone make sure that their chosen laser eye surgeon has the new lasers? Seriously, how do we know? The father of one of my step-sons friends is an eye surgeon, and when I asked him about LASIK or PRK 5 or 6 years ago his recommendation was that if you don't hate wearing glasses or contacts, then don't bother. He didn't see the value in any kind of surgery that wasn't medically indicated.

I wear safety glasses as part of my job, so even with LASIK or PRK, I'd be wearing something on my face.
I understand your point Paul. There is some responsibility on the client's part for knowing what they're getting. I get really nervous when people tell me they can get correction for something like $250 an eye. I mean, the fly-by-night operations and the Walmart specials shouldn't apply here. I wouldn't get anything done by anybody who wasn't an opthamologist (surgeon). Regardless of the computerized technology, the aforementioned is who you want if something goes wrong.

Your surgeon friend didn't consider those activities that are significantly impeded by corrective eyewear. I broke 4 pairs of glasses (in 2 years), which I'd been wearing for 25 years, before making the decision. It wasn't a vanity issue - purely performance. Of course, I'm getting to the age where reading glasses may soon be a necessity... :smile:

C

·
0 Posts
"Seriously, how do we know?"
Educate yourself...
Check the credentials of the clinic you're thinking of using.
Ask other customers, ask other clinics....

Make sure you're not getting your Lasik done in the back of a van.....

C

·
0 Posts
"licensed a (now disgraced) pathologist"
Has NOTHING to do with Lasik.... You're attempting to draw a connection, to appeal to emotion, where no connection exists.

"I choose to keep my glasses"
Your choice, but I don't think you've informed yourself as well as such a decision warrants.

*shrug*

1 - 20 of 25 Posts