The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
I bought a GG-25 several years back at a store garage sale. I was able to move the speaker baffle a bit forward to create more internal volume to the cab (for a little more bass), and replaced the power amp chip that seemed to be blown, but it has been sitting disassembled in the garage, displaced by other projects that tempted me more easily. They seem to be well-made, if not especially robustly designed. Not any worse than the 10W Traynor I bought at the same sale.

Like a great many amps in that category, though, the output power rating is more than a bit exaggerated. Given the size of the power transformer, and the normal performance of the power amp chip used, there is no way on earth this amp would be capable of 25W. I found a schematic for a Gorilla TC35 on-line. It uses a TDA2030 power-amp chip, which is rated at delivering 14W into 8 ohms at absolute maximum supply voltage. And Gorilla does NOT run that amp at maximum supply voltage.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
Had one in the 90s

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
I had one. I can't remember the model but it was small and I think I remember a control on it called 'tube stack'? It was my brothers and was handed down to me. Late 80's early 90's maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
For sure I did too - my grandparents bought it to keep out in one of their barns for me when I would put in my 3 weeks on their tobacco farm in the summers.

That GG-25 above looks awfully familiar.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
i had a little 10w ss job back in the 80's. my buddy wired it into an old floor model stereo somehow, and then into a 8x8 cab. it sounded so good it was insane. after the 2nd time it caught fire, i had to go with something else.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Here she is … Minty fresh GG-10 :cool:

Tried selling it several times in the past for $20 without success … so... the first $100 get it ! ;)

:D

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I always wanted one...always dug the name

I did play thru one for a while & thought it sounded like crap though

I wish they'd used faux gorilla-hair for the covering; it does not resemble a GORILLA enough

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember them on the New Sensor Corp website back in the 90's.

It said Gorilla amp with no other description. I was somehow intrigued, yet not interested at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I am sure there are a few players out there that could make a Gorilla amp sing, and then there are those that could spend some serious coin doing modifications to the little beast, just to show off their little amp.

What would it take? Better speaker, extension speaker out, boost the output to 100 Watts, figure out how to wire some NOS preamp tubes in the tone stack?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts