The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listen to certain albums alot but don't even know the name of the songs?
I find I listen to alot of music that I enjoy yet if I had to name the songs, I couldn't. For example been listening a lot lately to Albert Collins. I have 2 of his albums and kind of discovered his music for the first time a couple years ago. I put these albums on a lot and love them yet I couldn't even name the songs individually. I guess it sounds kind of weird. Maybe I'm just not paying as much attention as I should. I just love hearing the tone of his tele and aren't paying that much attention to lyrics I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Not weird to me.. in the age of CD's in cars before the displays would show song titles I often listened to new purchases that I enjoyed without knowing song titles. Now that I play a lot through a memory stick, satellite or streaming all that info is passed to the radio in my car so now I know titles better.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I don't know song names at all and it doesn't bother me one bit...then again, I probably couldn't name 1/3 of the 50 or so people who work in my office...that I see EVERYDAY.

Maybe a concussion or two too many over the years, lol

G

·
I've been like that all my musically listening life. lol.
I would put the album on to listen to and look at the cover artwork.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I generally listen in the car like a lot of people. I'll put on a cd and sometimes it might play through a couple of times but I've never been one to know the names of the songs. Even back in the day when I used to spin vinyl I'd play both sides and never really know the names of the songs.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I generally listen in the car like a lot of people. I'll put on a cd and sometimes it might play through a couple of times but I've never been one to know the names of the songs. Even back in the day when I used to spin vinyl I'd play both sides and never really know the names of the songs.
When I was young back in the 60's and 70's and vinyl was the only medium I knew every song, how long the songs were, who wrote them, whether the were covers or originals, etc. But then music was so important to me and I was very in to my vinyl. Music is still important to me but I just don't get as hung up on the stats anymore including the basic fact of knowing what the name of the song is. Maybe with my age I just don't retain information like I used to. Alot of the music I listen to is more prog rock so song names can be a bit more cryptic while a more commercial song may have a repetitive line that is the name of the song.

·
Premium Member
19,712 Posts
Yup, that's basically me in a nutshell. If it's music I've found in the last couple of years, I probably don't know the song titles. That will probably change if my next vehicle has a USB in.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
When I was young back in the 60's and 70's and vinyl was the only medium I knew every song, how long the songs were, who wrote them, whether the were covers or originals, etc.
This for me too,I listened more intently before,as soon as I started buying cds,he name of the song gave way to the number on the disc.
With vinyl,you had an album split into sides of 4-5 songs,not hard to know all 10 songs on one 40min. LP.
The longer length of the cd ,along with smaller album notes,made it not as easy to check info.
Throw a multi disc cd player in the mix and you suddenly had 3-4 hours of potentially new music to identify.

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
depends what it is...some bands hit you over the head with the title during the song...others are more obscure, especially instrumentals.
hard not to know the title of an ac/dc song...not so easy with a Steve Vai song.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I do this a lot too. I just picked up the new QOTSA LP- Villains, and put the digital download on my phone for driving. A buddy asked what my favorite track was, I had no idea the title. Great album though if you're a fan of these guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.