The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am use two 16 awg cables from my pre amp to push my cabinets.

People have told me that my sound would improve if I got a thicker amp cable.

Any truth to that claim ?

·
Premium Member
19,895 Posts
How long are the cables?
This chart will help to understand the relationships and why @player99 is asking bout the existing cable lengths.
These are maximum cable lengths recommended for each impedance depending on the gauge of wire.
Some degree of signal power loss will occur if you exceed these limits.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This chart will help to understand the relationships and why @player99 is asking bout the existing cable lengths.
These are maximum cable lengths recommended for each impedance depending on the gauge of wire.
View attachment 423279
Wow !!!!
Thank you, for the education !!!!

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
View attachment 423279
IMO
Some very important information is missing; the power that will be sent. The size of the cable must be able to carry the current (watts) without resistance.
A 5 watt amp will not need the same cable size as a 100 watt amp.

AJ string strings.
1- How much power ?
2- The lengt ?

·
Premium Member
21,322 Posts
Without getting too technical, I generally use the thickest speaker wire I can, but if you're using any amp with 30 watts or more, I doubt you"ll hear any difference, especially if you're using relatively short lengths.

·
Premium Member
19,895 Posts
Some very important information is missing; the power that will be sent. The size of the cable must be able to carry the current (watts) without resistance.
@Latole If you know the power, how do you calculate the maximum gauge and length of the speaker cable?
The reason for the larger gauge as the length (and resistance) increases is designed to incorporate the power handling requirements...Correct?

You have a typo ...current is not watts..Correct?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO
A 5 watt amp will not need the same cable size as a 100 watt amp.

AJ string strings.
1- How much power ?
2- The lengt ?
150 watts at 8ohms.
I'm going to order 10 to 20ft .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard that a thicker wire would deliver the signal more efficiently to my speaker cabinets .

·
Premium Member
19,895 Posts
I heard that a thicker wire would deliver the signal more efficiently to my speaker cabinets .
The thicker diameter wire tends to have less resistance per unit length.
Depending on the length you are considering, thicker wire will be more bulky/heavy and often more expensive.

Specific 1/4 inch plugs for speaker cables of a heavier gauge are typically required. Obviously, this is not an issue if you are buying the assembled cables (i.e, with the plugs) as compared to making your own.

Again, what is the length of cable you require and the impedance of your speakers?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
20 ft to 30 ft.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both cabinets equal 8ohms , each .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts