The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,376 Posts
I was working late one night and it turned out that I needed my affidavit signed for the next morning and there was no one left in the office with me so I went to shoppers and got the pharmacist to commission the fuckin affidavit..lol

·
Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,445 Posts
I had the family dr growing that my family had forever. He retired, and actually died like 3 days after. I got in with a new Dr in a clinic in my town when it was hard to get a new Dr, but not ridiculous like it is now. He died of a brain tumour within a year. Then because I this was at a clinic, I was really lucky to get a new Dr there. This was getting into the time period where it was getting almost impossible to find one. I got so lucky though, she is absolutely amazing. She's luckily young, so he retiring isn't as much of an issue. But her leaving town is a worry that's always in the back of my mind.

No real valuable feedback unfortunately, but I know what it's like. If you can manage to get into a clinic, that would be one recommendation. There's a backup if a Dr retires sometimes then.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Walk-ins and euthanasia pods are the future here. That’s why the government is so big on MAID and electric cars; those cars are just euthanasia pods – push a button when you’re done and they’ll send someone round to clean up the mess.
Pretty sure that's the plot in a science fiction book I read a long time ago. Or maybe it was a Star Trek episode? @oldjoat I can ask around, my family is full of nurses but they work in hospitals not clinics.

·
Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,445 Posts
Pretty sure that's the plot in a science fiction book I read a long time ago. Or maybe it was a Star Trek episode? @oldjoat I can ask around, my family is full of nurses but they work in hospitals not clinics.
Soylent Green has walk in rooms. Then they turn you into food.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's rough. It comes down to walk in clinics if you need something. I've been on the waiting list for a doctor for over 3 years now. I was called again a few months ago to confirm I still want to be on the list <sigh>.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Try the ON Telehealth system? It was setup and expanded during covid.
I see you haven't tried it lately ... total waste of time
now called Health Connect Ontario

suggests trying Med Team at 99 Kakulu in Kanata.
already on their "FB waiting list"
(At this time we are NOT currently accepting new patients).

... but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
In an interview a person was commenting that the average doctor in Ontario has a patient load of some 4000 people. As their offices are set up similar to a small business that means that after hours for the office means another 6 hours of work doing administrative duties. New doctors do not want any part of that status quo. New doctors are limiting the number of patients they care for down to about 500. That means it takes 8 new doctors just to replace a single retiring one. Never mind about population growth.
No one wants to work 14 hours a day any more, and who can blame them.
Some hospital doctors, according to the nurse that rents from us, have, up until recently, been on 36 hour shifts. That got cut back to 24 hour shifts due to fatigue factors. That is still one hell of a shift. Would you want your life in hands of someone well into 20+ hours of work if you had an emergency? Apparently this is not a problem unique to the underserviced north of Ontario.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
I see you haven't tried it lately ... total waste of time
now called Health Connect Ontario

already on their "FB waiting list"
(At this time we are NOT currently accepting new patients).

... but thanks anyway.
Ok, we’re doing more checking.

·
Premium Member
28,369 Posts
As an Ottawan, you may be familiar with Larga Baffin, near where Carling and Richmond Rd. cross over. It is a residence for people who have to be flown in from Nunavut for medical care in Ottawa. Count your blessings that there ARE walk-in clinics. I can't imagine they are especially plentiful up north.

Of course, the difficulty is that medical training is long and expensive. I would imagine that many of us would be content with what doctors pay for malpractice insurance if it was our income, or house down-payment.

I'm not crying the blues for doctors any more than many other professions. It's just that, at a time when the need for them is increasing, there are a LOT of obstacles and disincentives to becoming one...or remaining one. I doubt the solution to the situation is simple. For example, "make medical school free" sounds great, but there are limits to the number of places, supervised residencies and internships, and not everyone is really cut out to be a doctor. So you don't want to displace someone who could be competent and committed with someone who was merely attracted by low tuition. Yes, you can be selective about who gets admitted, but that in turn requires an infrastructure for making good picks and vetting applicants, or at least whittling a mountain down to a small pile. "What about entrance exams?", you say. Having worked in the field, they are difficult and time-consuming to develop and validate. Besides there are already MCATs and other well-established vetting/screening procedures. "Well just let more people in". That requires hiring more faculty and providing more physical space.

Like I say, not an easy problem to solve.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
But we have three GP's in a town of 1000 people (and surrounding farms). No problem seeing a doctor here. In fact I have to avoid them in public because they always say "Come in for a check-up." To which I reply: "The last time time I did, you stuck your finger up my ass."
Last time my doctor wanted to do that I told him I want a second opinion, so he used two fingers. :oops:

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
In an interview a person was commenting that the average doctor in Ontario has a patient load of some 4000 people. As their offices are set up similar to a small business that means that after hours for the office means another 6 hours of work doing administrative duties. New doctors do not want any part of that status quo. New doctors are limiting the number of patients they care for down to about 500. That means it takes 8 new doctors just to replace a single retiring one. Never mind about population growth.
No one wants to work 14 hours a day any more, and who can blame them.
Some hospital doctors, according to the nurse that rents from us, have, up until recently, been on 36 hour shifts. That got cut back to 24 hour shifts due to fatigue factors. That is still one hell of a shift. Would you want your life in hands of someone well into 20+ hours of work if you had an emergency? Apparently this is not a problem unique to the underserviced north of Ontario.
The doctors at my clinic also all do hospital rounds on top of their regular patient load.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts