The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here run two OD pedals, one for rythmn crunch and one for lead? If so, what do you use and what type of amp.

This would seen to make sense with a Fender, so you'd have three basic sounds and then you could sculpt the tones with the guitar volume and tone controls.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
well I use a Boss DS1 for rythm, then add in a blues driver, with the gain rolled off, and the level up, for the lead.

Reactions: zontar

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
SCREEM said:
this is great for single channel amps.:DevilGuitar:
well yeah, if the amp has a second channel, chances are its better than the pedals.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I have three actually.
When I'm using a single channel amp, I have use a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal for a completely clean boost to drive the amp a little harder for either more delicate solo passges or a little edge for blues stuff. Then I have an old RAT pedal from the mid-eighties. I bought it new and have never stopped using it. This gives me my standard rock tones. And recently I added a Big Muff for that BIGGGG sound. Kinda like a guitar being played at one end of a long hollow log. I use it specifically for just a couple of tunes we do that require that kind of sound.
When I use an amp that has an EQ bypass (Kingsley, Two-Rock) I just use that function as my low boost setting and bypass the Duncan Booster pedal.

cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I got 4 for different flavours + levels of distortion and use a Dual Loop A/B switcher from Skreddy pedals to switch between the two pairs:
Side "A": Diamond Fireburst and Subdecay Blackstar
Side "B": Cusack Screamer Fuzz and Xotic BB Preamp

:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Presently using a Boss SD-1 which I have modified beyond recognition and in front of that I use a Rangemaster style clone which I built , setup up similar to the katana boost . Use the SD-1 for the overdrive and kick in the boost for some solos. These two are followed by a Fulltone deja vibe and a homemade trem pedal.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PaulS said:
Presently using a Boss SD-1 which I have modified beyond recognition and in front of that I use a Rangemaster style clone which I built , setup up similar to the katana boost . Use the SD-1 for the overdrive and kick in the boost for some solos. These two are followed by a Fulltone deja vibe and a homemade trem pedal.
God it must be nice to have the skills to do that. I've installed a couple of USB cards in a computer and a new speaker in my amp and that freaks me out.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
david henman said:
...tonebone: trimode for crunch and overkill, hot british for modern high gain.

-dh
What type of amp do you run it through? How do you chain your stomp boxes? ( Ithink that's what you call it ??????)

P.S. Lou at Kaos was very helpful again today.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Robert1950 said:
God it must be nice to have the skills to do that. I've installed a couple of USB cards in a computer and a new speaker in my amp and that freaks me out.
Well as an occupation i work in industrial electronics so I have combined my trade and my hobby and have a lot of fun doing it. I have also built wah boards and setup my own special version. It has both the yellow and red fasel which you can select either or select them in series. I have also installed the Crybaby sweep selector switch but I really only find three out of six positions usable for me, and of course TB.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Robert1950 said:
What type of amp do you run it through? How do you chain your stomp boxes? ( Ithink that's what you call it ??????)
P.S. Lou at Kaos was very helpful again today.

...glad to hear it! the amp is a traynor ycv40wr, a 40-watt 1-12 combo. i run the tonebones in front, and the effects pedals through the effects loops.

the tonebones are expensive - i had to really bite the bullet to spend $600 on a couple of distortion pedals! but, no regrets - i'm glad i did it. i was never able to get the kind of overdrive and distortion i wanted from solid state pedals.

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
Clearly most of us need varying degrees of distortion. Having two overdrives is a perfectly accpetable way to get this.

I suspect a more common combination is one overdrive and one distortion.

Personally I use a programmable modeler (Vox Tonelab SE) and set up the patches in banks of four patches.

Typically it goes:

Patch 1. Clean
Patch 2. Overdriven (mild to hairy as hell depending on the song).
Patch 3. Distorted
Patch 4. Solo

If there are specific effects I want for a song, this is also easily programmed. As a singer (sort of) it's great to be able to have the required patches programmed in sequence so I don't have to look down while I'm singing to make sure I nail the right sound.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I have a few overdrive/distortionpedals on my board.

I run the signal into a compressor first then into a GoudieFX ts-808+ (ts-808 clone with some more/less gain options) then I run that into a stock TS-9 and then that runs into a modded proco rat that I can set anywhere from a clean boost to... a wide open distortion. I don't use the rat much but I use the ts-808 as my main overdrive and then set my gain on the ts-9 wide open and they sound perfect when switched on together (and the ts-9 sounds good alone).

·
Registered
272 Posts
flexibility rules

I've got a mark IIC+ and although the distortion from that amp is awesome I like to have a variety of flavours on tap. I have a pair of early rat II's, one stock, one Keeley-modded and a big muff. Between the pedals and the amp's two channels I've got a huge variety of sounds. I'm still thinking of picking up a few more, although I can't see myself having all of my pedals hooked up at the same time unless I had something like a Carl Martin Combinator since I hate how my guitar sounds with too many pedals in the chain.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got more. :wave:

I use a Fulldrive II with the gain rolled down to about 9:00 with my strat over the clean channel for blues and light gain, then I have the boost function on the pedal set at about 3:00, and it takes off like a Tubescreamer through an overdriven amp.

Then I have a SD-1 to run over my amp's lead channel for gain and sustain boost with my Les Paul.

A distortion pedal built by Eric Shannon over the lead channel with the Les Paul for heavier, more compressed gain.

Sometimes I'll combine the SD-1 with the Shannon and slight delay and get really fusion sounding tones.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
I must confess that I am an O/D junkie. Currently, I have:

TS-9
SD-1
OD-3
Route 66
BD-2
2 x Rats
Xotic BB
BYOC Triboost

all into a Mesa DC-5.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I use a Boss MT-2 (heavily modified), Boss MD-2 (again heavily modified), Boss OS-2 (modified), an old Rat, and old Big muff, Ibanez SM-9, a couple of homemade pedals, one patterened after the Distortion+ and one patterened after the ts-808, and a Boss HM-2 modified.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I start with a GoudieFX compressor which I run into a GoudieFX ts-808+ which the goes into a Fulldrive II. This gives me every kind of OD that I need. From mellow blues with just a touch of breakup to a full blown growling beast and everything inbetween.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts