The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never did on any of the Strat's I've owned over the years, but I've started using it gently.

What about you?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Out of the 3 Strats I have had, I think I only had the Wang bar for one of them. I never used it. The last Strat I had, I decked the bridge so it wouldn't have been usable even if I wanted it to be.

·
Premium Member
17,851 Posts
3 strats, no trem use. That said I did use the trem, without the bar, on my artist V in a couple of places in my last two bands. It's nice to be able to use the trem without the bar with the PRS design.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The trem on my strat has always been set to float. It stays well in tune, but required a lot of finicky setup; I apply a lubricant to all witness points if I plan to go crazy with the trem.

It holds tune perfectly, but it’s awfully shaky if you don’t maintain the setup. I’ll also ad that I have a modern 2-point setup; I’ve had much less luck with the vintage 6 screw setup.

·
Premium Member
4,327 Posts
I really like the trem on my strat style
Guitars. I find them to be most useful with fewer springs cranked more. Needing less pressure to engage. I also prefer decking them so that a string break or down tuning the 6th doesn't throw out the whole guitar.

·
Premium Member
13,240 Posts
I use sometimes it for slow or subtle vibratos and slow bends. Single note and chords. Vibratos I don't do well with my fingers.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Two strats booth set up floating and used if the original song has it in. SOB keeping them in tune after a bunch of Vanhalen dive bombs. I have come to the conclusion if you use it like a rock star you better have a Floyd bridge and locking nut.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
No I have never use the trem on any of my strats. I can never keep the guitar in tune, and I don't like the screw in bar. I do use the trem on my Floyd and Wilkinson bridges though.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Absolutely, though not in excess - just a little shimmer here and there. No problems with tuning. Also have trem on my PRS - that's a great implementation!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
The trem on my strat has always been set to float. It stays well in tune, but required a lot of finicky setup; I apply a lubricant to all witness points if I plan to go crazy with the trem.

It holds tune perfectly, but it’s awfully shaky if you don’t maintain the setup. I’ll also ad that I have a modern 2-point setup; I’ve had much less luck with the vintage 6 screw setup.
+1 on floating the modern bridge. It takes patience & a lot of fiddling with the claw/springs but you can set it to "bend" in tune up/down.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I use the trem all the time on my American Deluxe Strat. I get it set up at Bob's Guitars in Kitchener and it stays in tune very well.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
I use sometimes it for slow or subtle vibratos and slow bends. Single note and chords. Vibratos I don't do well with my fingers.
I don't do well with my vibrato either.

Except for loving to execute dive bombs which are so fun Btw I never use them.

Must get a whole bunch better at the finer art of vibrato! It's eluded me for years.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
i almost never use the trem. the last 2 strats i had, and any strat i buy going forward, will have a tremol-no. greatest invention in a long time.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Once in a while, but only lightly (i.e. no dive bombing). For more than 10 years, my Strat's trem was decked, as I almost never pulled sharp. A few years ago, when I replaced the stock trem with a Callaham, I had the trem set up floating. No major tuning or sustain issues with the way I use the floating trem, so I am keeping it that way.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Use the trem alot on my 2 Strats (Jimmy Vaughan w vintage bridge, Am. Std with modern 2-point bridge) both with Callaham blocks and arms, and 5 Raw Vintage springs. Yes, the Callaham and Raw Vintage parts DO make a difference (IMHO) -- snug arm fit and smooth action, and better stability. JV bridge is decked, the Am Std floats, but I only bend sharp... Oh yeah, well-lubed bone nuts in both are essential.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts