The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
It's a way to stay in touch with former coworkers or professional colleagues. I guess I use it as my minimal-contact Facebook (which I am not on). I actually only signed up because a professional listserv I was on decided to move to Linkedin. Ironically, there hasn't been nearly as much activity on it as when we were entirely e-mail-based. But once I registered on Linkedin for one discussion group, I found and signed up for several others. Some were decent, and others not much more cogent than some of the non-musical discussions here. These days, much of what I get from them is notices about work anniversaries for people who left that job some time ago, and constant updates about who is connected to who.

So, yeah, like yourself, only minimally helpful. Mostly what I see it being used for is professional self-promotion. If I was interested in a "career", I might find it appealing, but at this point, meh.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
I registered on it seven years ago because one of my clerks said this is cool you should do this. It has me as working in Schulenberg, Texas but I haven’t logged into it for years and I’m here anyway so it ain’t much use. All’s well that ends well and at least there wasn’t a tattoo involved.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
I'm not. But some of my friends who found themselves being shown the door found it useful to get themselves back into the workforce. (I'm in my 50's, so a lot of my friends are at that age where they are being replaced by two 25 year-olds whose cumulative pay is much less than what their salary was.)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It’s a great way to creep people in your industry to find out how many employers they’ve been through.

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It’s a great way to creep people in your industry to find out how many employers they’ve been through.
Facebook is also good for knowing when someone is about to be fired. Many times I've seen people publicly bashing their company/boss/co-workers, and then they're puzzled why they lost their job.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I doubt that it makes much difference to practicing musicians, but in my day job, it’s more than a little handy. Essential business connectivity.

·
Premium Member
17,174 Posts
I had to make an account when I attended an employment workshop before my current job. I haven't checked it since.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,193 Posts
Nope, people generally dont like me so I dont need to be found.

Reactions: Guncho

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Yes, definitely. We use it as we are a B2B company. It has its uses in specific applications, but there is only a narrow group who use its full potential.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I found my current job on LinkedIn. So, yes, for me it's been very useful.

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
I'm on LinkedIn, have been for many years. I get contacted a lot by head-hunters looking to fill positions......probably be a useful site if I was ever looking for job.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an account.. but virtually no reason to ever use it.. It was something that was just extra notifications on my phone.. so it had to go.
I suppose there's probably a real use for it, but as far as I can see the real point is for people to brag about all the flashy business buzzwords they know, when nobody ever asked.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
I have an account.. but virtually no reason to ever use it.. It was something that was just extra notifications on my phone.. so it had to go.
I suppose there's probably a real use for it, but as far as I can see the real point is for people to brag about all the flashy business buzzwords they know, when nobody ever asked.
You’re right, it’s not for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts