The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the last time I bought one for myself was in 2010. Now that I think of it, I've bought a few specialty import CD's of traditional music as gifts for my mom.

I haven't thought about it, but I would if there was something specific I wanted and couldn't get it as a download, or if the quality of available downloads was lacking.

What about you?

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,104 Posts
What's a CD?

Reactions: ga20t and GuitarT

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yes. Certainly not like I used to over 20 years ago. I think I have well over 1000. One day I will get around to roping them all. Maybe. LOL

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
Haven't bought one in over a decade. I was an early adopter of buying digital music. These days I listen to music almost exclusively on Spotify, or some other streaming service.

Reactions: GuitarT

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Yes.

Now, mostly at concerts to support the artists and to take home a memory. If I can get it signed, even better.

I will order a CD if the artist if offering autographed copies.
Colin James is all over that with offering autographed copies if you pre-order.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
The only time i will buy a cd is when a friend of ours has one for sale. Other than that, have not bought one in the last 20 years.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Yes.

Now, mostly at concerts to support the artists and to take home a memory. If I can get it signed, even better.
This. I do sound at a local folk society and that's where I buy most of my CDs. My most recent CD purchase was a "reward", along with a couple of T-shirts, for supporting a crowd sourced CD.

Came home with a vinyl LP last week, for the first time since about 1990 - a friend just released an album on vinyl instead of CD as it seems that these days vinyl is more popular. I have to believe that the resurgence in vinyl is a fad - vinyl is a PITA. There, I said it.

L

·
0 Posts
I rip to my laptop
There used to be a CD exchange shop that I went to where they were ~$4.
They would buy used off of you for $2.
In essence, a $2 rental fee.
I would grab a selection, rip/burn, then take them back for others.

I have a JVC 200 CD carousel (not currently hooked up).

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
As one of the younger peope on here, i find it interesting that a lot of replies have been "no".

We have vinyl And CD's ;)

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
I really don't want to jump on board with pay streaming services.
+1. Subscriptions now to EVERYTHING from news media through car radio through music and video streaming to software (even including Windows 10 soon). People are going to be feeling twenty-dollared into poverty, and when they resist/withdraw from the model there will be casualties.

I bought thousands of CDs over thirty years until they started becoming a literal weight on our lives. For several years I've been buying music from iTunes, but now Apple is going to close that down and do streaming-only.

I tried Tidal high-def streaming for a year or so, and one of the things I didn't like about it was trying to navigate through 25 million songs and wade past all the efforts to promote artists to me. I also didn't like that I could only listen to the music if I had an internet connection - I go places where I don't.

So I'm thinkin', I already own somewhere between 15-20,000 songs, stuff I know I like. I won't go back to buying CDs. I won't steal music through Bit Torrent or other means. So if nobody's going to sell me - with permanent usage rights - downloadable songs then I'll be good with what I got.

So much crap in new music anyway. For that reason and the elimination of delivery methods acceptable to me this former best customer of the music industry will be leaving and taking his money with him.

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Jeez, I hope people still do. Yesterday I was helping the widow of a friend run a garage sale. We were hoping to sell off most or all of the piles of music and audio gear still left in his extensive collection. But over and above that were hundreds and hundreds of CDs. A bunch of folks walked out with 10-12 CDs - essentially as much as they could hold in one hand, between thumb and fingers - but there were still boxes and boxes left. A few months back, a guy from the largest used disc/vinyl place in town came over and dropped $3000 on stuff, but that still left a large collection. So our fingers are crossed for some type of resurgent interest in CDs.

Myself, I don't find much free time to listen to music anymore - generally something to fall asleep to in my ear buds, and occasionally Youtube videos - so as much as I'd like to think of myself as a CD-buyer, I rarely buy anymore, and music I do listen to is just downloaded concerts from the Sugarmegs site. So no subscriptions to anything.

Of course this means that one of the other things my late friend's wife and I have had difficulty selling off is his almost-as-vast collection of raw speakers and crossover networks that he amassed over the years. I joke, and joked in the ad, that one could reconstruct a circa-1993 Radio Shack from his collection. Indeed, there is likely more stock sitting in his garage now than most 1993 Radio Shacks had in their inventory. But since folks mostly listen to Spotify on their headphones now, who wants to buy speaker drivers and make your own cabs?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts