The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Do you work in the sales or manufacturing part of the music industry?

• I (or a family member) work in the manufacturing sector

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I (or a family member) work in the distribution sector.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I (or a family member) work in the retail part of the industry.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to how many members or thier families we have that work in the sales or manufacturing part of the music industry. If you do and have any stories, experiences you can relate to us, I am sure we would all be interested in hearing them.

NOTE: The poll is NOT public so if this is a concern for you you need not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,111 Posts
I get enough calls from telemarketers already without having my happy place screwed up with silly questions. Is there a point to this?

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this just about instruments?
Yes.

I dunno. Where do you place Performers, Teachers and Instructors?
This does not apply in this thread/poll.

Yes, this is just about the sale and/or manufacturing of musical equipment, not teaching or instructing.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
I get enough calls from telemarketers already without having my happy place screwed up with silly questions. Is there a point to this?
Of course. His ongoing agenda. Trying to educate us stupid marketed-to muso's.

I wonder though, is anyone more marketed to than someone who constantly shops via utube and manufacturer-printed specs without actual direct experience with said product? The one person who says he is least affected by marketing (there was a thread a couple years ago) is actually the most affected by it, and he doesn't even know it. He's the kind of dupe they just love. Taking in that marketing like oxygen while not even being aware he is being sold to. He even parrots the stuff to the rest of us, acting as a free agent and 2nd hand marketer for all those marketers. OMFG!

I wonder how many 'brand names' are all over his ski equipment? LOL Well, at least he probably actually skis.

I went to a restaurant the other day and they wanted $35 for prime rib. I bought the $10 hamburger insteadly. It's all just beef, right? There is never any actually difference in product quality ever, anywhere, in any product. Ever. More bloody marketing. :rolleyes:

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,822 Posts
I would have chosen all three, but it only let me select two. Been in the industry in one way or another for about 20 years now. What do you want to know?

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Of course. His ongoing agenda. Trying to educate us stupid marketed-to muso's.

I wonder though, is anyone more marketed to than someone who constantly shops via utube and manufacturer-printed specs without actual direct experience with said product? The one person who says he is least affected by marketing (there was a thread a couple years ago) is actually the most affected by it, and he doesn't even know it. He's the kind of dupe they just love. Taking in that marketing like oxygen while not even being aware he is being sold to. He even parrots the stuff to the rest of us, acting as a free agent and 2nd hand marketer for all those marketers. OMFG!

I wonder how many 'brand names' are all over his ski equipment? LOL Well, at least he probably actually skis.

I went to a restaurant the other day and they wanted $35 for prime rib. I bought the $10 hamburger insteadly. It's all just beef, right? There is never any actually difference in product quality ever, anywhere, in any product. Ever. More bloody marketing. :rolleyes:
This made my day. :)
The best part is that I had a wastefully expensive prime rib roast for Christmas dinner, which just added to the reading pleasure. Merry Christmas to you sir :)

Reactions: High/Deaf

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would have chosen all three, but it only let me select two. Been in the industry in one way or another for about 20 years now. What do you want to know?
I want to know many, many things. I am curious George's brother, Steadfastly.:)

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
I want to know many, many things. I am curious George's brother, Steadfastly.:)
And here I thought that you were Kellyanne Conway's brother all this time. You certainly get off topic as well as she does.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Are you actually going for something with this thread? I like this site because I get great information on what's available to me as a player. You know, pertinent information on techniques, which type of gear will work for me, experienced insight into components I'm otherwise unaware of that may suit either my sound or info on components that I may want to add to my current gear to make it more suitable to my ear. I also trust a number of great sources of information that I cannot get elsewhere from people who are in different areas of the industry apart from performance. Speaking of performers, that's yet one more great thing about this site. I've been into the live scene for a lot of years, but there are a number of regulars here who regularly perform at a pro level that have a shit ton of really helpful info on backline, room sound, and what to use to mitigate certain factors that may contribute to poor live sound or to enhance a good sound into a great sound. It's also a great source for great used gear, which is something I've tapped into a number of times as well.

I really haven't garnered anything of use with this thread though. I haven't actually heard a question about how people who work in the industry realize their supply demands from people like myself, what kind of regulations or procedures they have to consider to make a good working model for their business, or how the business model they use compares to others in the same industry. Are gear vendors allowed to sell all types of instruments, or are there rules that will prohibit sales due to other sellers in the area? What's a typical purchasing point to which sales can actually make a profit....considering Overhead, store front, number of employees etc. My business acumen is fairly low, so these kind of discussions would clear some preconceived notions I have, and many others to be sure have, on how a business might have to run in order to make a dollar in today's music business.

So what was yer question? And what's the point of your poll? I'm really not getting any answers here. For any type of question I have. For anything apart from a snide and seemingly backhanded remark towards the industry about my bank account info.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With so few apparently in the retail or mfg. end of the business on this forum you're not likely to get much useful information either.

As for why I started the poll. I am curious how many are actually in the instrument and/or accessory business. It appears very few. On another forum that I frequent, it is quite different with many in the business and supporters of that forum.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The possibility that they're too busy doing business and taking care of customers to make a living exists in a smaller market than Canada. That's just a simple guess though..

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
Are you actually going for something with this thread? I like this site because I get great information on what's available to me as a player. You know, pertinent information on techniques, which type of gear will work for me, experienced insight into components I'm otherwise unaware of that may suit either my sound or info on components that I may want to add to my current gear to make it more suitable to my ear. I also trust a number of great sources of information that I cannot get elsewhere from people who are in different areas of the industry apart from performance. Speaking of performers, that's yet one more great thing about this site. I've been into the live scene for a lot of years, but there are a number of regulars here who regularly perform at a pro level that have a shit ton of really helpful info on backline, room sound, and what to use to mitigate certain factors that may contribute to poor live sound or to enhance a good sound into a great sound. It's also a great source for great used gear, which is something I've tapped into a number of times as well.

I really haven't garnered anything of use with this thread though. I haven't actually heard a question about how people who work in the industry realize their supply demands from people like myself, what kind of regulations or procedures they have to consider to make a good working model for their business, or how the business model they use compares to others in the same industry. Are gear vendors allowed to sell all types of instruments, or are there rules that will prohibit sales due to other sellers in the area? What's a typical purchasing point to which sales can actually make a profit....considering Overhead, store front, number of employees etc. My business acumen is fairly low, so these kind of discussions would clear some preconceived notions I have, and many others to be sure have, on how a business might have to run in order to make a dollar in today's music business.

So what was yer question? And what's the point of your poll? I'm really not getting any answers here. For any type of question I have. For anything apart from a snide and seemingly backhanded remark towards the industry about my bank account info.
I spent 2 years in the MI business, selling guitar and music related equipment retail to the public. Then another 7 or 8 years, after post-secondary ed, in the pro audio and video business, mostly component-level repairs. But I also built and ran large sound systems, mostly in a venue that sat 20,000 people. If you watched the '88 Olympics, you may have heard some of my 'work'. And I had friends on the road, that I occasionally traveled with and provided technical help through the 'hair metal' decade. These guys took very large, 3 or 4 way PA's on the road and worked the hell out of them. Not to mention the numerous full stacks and large bass rigs and instruments I was involved with repairing and mod'ing. I sold some of these guys the stuff they were using for the decade.

But the OP has me on ignore, so obviously my type of experience isn't what he's looking for. Like you, I have no clue what he really wants. But I do have my speculations, as I've given earlier.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts