The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Do you like the band Billy Talent? What age group are you in?

• <20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <30

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • <40

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • >40

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of their songs I hear on radio are really good.

Just wondering if younger and older people like them, or??

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Well they've been mainstream for around 15 years, so take that into consideration.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
BLUF - When they get radio play, I crank it.

Great band who created a very unique sound (their songs are instantly recognizable), and a really cool style of their own.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I like them quite a lot. Their song "Afraid of Heights" helped me a lot during rough time when my dad passed away back home and I flew for the funeral about 2 years ago.
Couple of months after that at Cosmo Music, during their Fender special event, I met and talked with Ian D'Sa - their guitarist.
He was extremely nice, polite and approachable.
I told him how their music and song really helped me during tough (both emotional and physical) time and thanked him for their music and art.
He was visibly moved by my words and I was really happy that I was able to tell him how their art helped me a lot.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I would love to meet Ian D'sa because he's one of the few guitarists I ever saw on TV who looks anything like me.

I recall an interview they had on Much Music (maybe an I&I?) where he said he writes in drop D because he's both rhythm and lead guitarist. That was the approach I would take to writing my heavy riffs afterwards.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I like them. I'm a little surprised at the poll results too. Maybe just people who like them are taking the time to vote.
Oh wait, I see the poll is well constructed. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have 0 desire to listen to them. Would probably change the station if they came on. Good for them for doing their thing. But, it's never been for me.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
My wife is listening to a bunch of music on YouTube in our living room and although I know all of the songs I had to ask her who played a number of them. I just don't listen to who plays what unless it really strikes me. I may have heard of Billy Talent but I couldn't tell you one of their songs. That is more true of music from the 90's and up.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I just listened to about 7 seconds of fallen leaves. Nope, can't stand it. I hate music where singers are yelling, screaming or whatever you want to call that.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Rock and roll ?
I guess some call it that. I like a lot of Rock and Roll but I like story songs and I need to hear the lyrics sung in a pleasant manner. I prefer stuff like, Queen, Led Zep, Beatles, BTO, The Guess Who, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Great band who created a very unique sound (their songs are instantly recognizable), and a really cool style of their own.
What? You gotta be kidding me. Emo-y pop punk with typical late 90s/early 00s vocal snarl. They're just the only ones who made it to mainstream radio and stayed there for more than 1 or 2 singles.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
What? You gotta be kidding me. Emo-y pop punk with typical late 90s/early 00s vocal snarl. They're just the only ones who made it to mainstream radio and stayed there for more than 1 or 2 singles.
Well they've sold more records and packed more gigs than I ever have.
They've received infinitely more radio play than I have.

Does the singer have a voice that cuts through a mix.... yup.
Are they guitar based.... yup.
Do they have a unique guitar tone that makes them instantly recognizeable.... yup.

I consider them Canadian Green Day.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts