The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently some people hear Laurel and other hear Yanny, I hear both with my studio headphones and only one of them in other speakers, here's a possible explanation I came up with

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
Yanny. Very Clearly. But when someone on TV used a low pass filter (or something like that), I heard Laurel

Reactions: amagras

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
its weird..in the first vid I heard Yanny...when CTV did this story I heard Laurel, just as clearly.

so what does this prove? that in the movies they are planting subconscious messages to make us get up and buy overpriced popcorn and Coke.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
The Brainstorm one is even stranger. You watch it, if you think "brainstorm" that's what you hear, if you think "green needle" that's what you hear:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Laurel" ...through my monitors

On parts near the end of your explanation video, I was hearing "Huey"
I hear Yummy
The Brainstorm one is even stranger. You watch it, if you think "brainstorm" that's what you hear, if you think "green needle" that's what you hear:

Thats a good one ,thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
I hear "Slow motion Walter, Fire engine guy."

I think I've stood beside drummers for too many nights.

Reactions: SWLABR

·
Registered
497 Posts
My wife played it for me, and I heard Yanny. Clear as day. Then I listened to the explanation, and they said low rez speakers could lean you towards Yanny over Laurel. I listened on every set of speakers, headphones and anything else I could find, and it's still Yanny.

As for "brainstorm vs green needle". I can only hear green needle. If I really try for brainstorm, I hear brain-needle. That's probably bad.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I heard Yanny. Clear as day. Then I listened to the explanation, and they said low rez speakers could lean you towards Yanny over Laurel. I listened on every set of speakers, headphones and anything else I could find, and it's still Yanny.
Supposedly, if you take out the highs, you hear Laurel. Take out the lows and you hear Yanny.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Supposedly, if you take out the highs, you hear Laurel. Take out the lows and you hear Yanny.
That's why I tried the various different speakers. I was hoping the "quality" of the source would produce something different. But I still hear Yanny every time.

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
If I heard Yanny, I'd just stop at the next floor and get out.

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Have a look at the spectrogram and try the eq slider tool here: We Made a Tool So You Can Hear Both Yanny and Laurel
I've listened on several devices and always heard "Laurel". With this tool, I finally heard "Yanny". If I set the slider about 2 notches to the right of centre, I can hear them both - though not at the same time. I have to focus on either one or the other to hear it. Cool.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts