The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that I'll fiddle with it for a while, but usually end up unhooking it and using something more conventional.

There are times when it sounds good right out of the gate, but if you breath on it you won't get back there.

Anyone else feel frustrated with this pedal at times?

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
I had that problem with my Mastotron. Sounds effing amazing when I hear it online, But I did not like it at all once I got it.

Thorpy mushroom cloud.....

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I posted this I found something again that I can use sometimes.

I really do have a love/hate relationship with this pedal.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
It can do things that other pedals can't, but I agree, it's waaayyyyy too fussy for me. I can't trust to use it live. Any small movement on the knobs while in transport or on stage can result is utter mayhem, and that's not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It can do things that other pedals can't, but I agree, it's waaayyyyy too fussy for me. I can't trust to use it live. Any small movement on the knobs while in transport or on stage can result is utter mayhem, and that's not my cup of tea.
I agree.

I've used it for recording where I got absolutely great sounds, but I can't for the life of me get those specific sounds again. I guess it being temperamental is what endears it to some people.

·
Registered
24,151 Posts
The three controls/parameters that are not simply a normal part of a conventional Fuzz Face (which is essentially what a Fuzz Factory IS), are merely variable resistances. For example, the stability control is simply a variable resistance in series with the supply voltage. It's an easy matter to reduce the range of action of such controls with a couple of strategically-placed resistors, such that the small arc of the corresponding control that you like to use, now becomes a much bigger arc in a smaller range of variation. In other words, it improves dialability.

Let me know what drives you crazy, and I'll guide you through making a few small (and reversible) changes that will help it to behave the way you want.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Also note that the controls are highly interactive; change anything (aside from volume IIRC) and you will likely have to adjust comp and gate as well to keep it from running away from you or to open it up more if you went the other way.

I actually don't use mine for guitar; rather I use it as a signal generator since you can easily get it to self oscilate and tune that oscillation to a specific pitch and it will be reasonably stable. Depending on how you set the controls there is a 2 octave range. The guitarist in one of my bands has been using it a bit recently;lwe'll see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Start by turning the 'stab' fully clockwise. Forget it exists, don't fiddle with it.

Set Vol & Fuzz pots to taste.

Explore the Comp and Gate knob functions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts