The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 21 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't necessarily mean always looking over your shoulder (but you can if you want), but feeling like you need to be a little more aware of your surroundings? With the last few events in Toronto, I haven't felt like going as much. I've had this conversation with friends who live and have lived in Toronto all of their lives (because that's the closest major city to me) and they've all said they don't feel as safe there as they used to.

How do you feel? What about other major cities in Canada?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I feel fine in Vancouver. The last time I was there I had this incident. I went to sit down at a table outside a cafe when the table teetered and my coffee spilled over my legs. While I was cleaning it up, another customer handed me a fresh coffee! So I feel safe there but cast a wary eye at their outdoor tables.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel fine in Vancouver. The last time I was there I had this incident. I went to sit down at a table outside a cafe when the table teetered and my coffee spilled over my legs. While I was cleaning it up, another customer handed me a fresh coffee! So I feel safe there but cast a wary eye at their outdoor tables.
Maybe someone booby trapped the table.

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
Hmmmm. I don't feel unsafe in the lower mainland. But my neighbors tell me they do. Must be the metal for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Seriously, there are parts of the city, and times of day, that I wouldn't feel safe. But I also know where and when to avoid those places. Traffic, and the constant reduction of driving skills in general, has me more concerned. Which is as likely to lead to danger now than probably any other single factor.

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
I don't know if I fully agree with that. TV news isn't a single category. Local news broadcasts are the least bombastic, the most connected to the community. A good local station tells it like it is better than most other sources (along with local newspapers and local news radio). Boots on the ground and all that. It's like they want to retain their credibility at the expense of 'capturing more likes'. Mind you, there's lots happening outside your area that you still need to rely on wider sources, just like the local stations do. But at least they are professionally edited for sources, etc.

National news programs (CBC/CTV Newschannels, CNN, FoxNews, et al) are much more 'hair on fire', competing to earn viewership/ratings by being 'first' with the 'always breaking news'. It get's tiring, but I also find it somewhat transparent. It can be seen through. Same with national newspapers more and more.

If you think internet (and tabloids) are the place to get honest news, well you may end up believing that aliens walk amongst us (not saying they don't necessarily) or that we live on a flat, two dimensional planet or that T3's are addictive, or so many other silly things. I've never seen even national news sources stoop to that level of inanity just to get clicks/viewers/ratings. You better be really good at vetting and editing your sources if you want to rely on what's basically raw feeds for your 'information'. It's all there, depending on where you decide to go. I don't think it's coincidental that we've become much more edgy and worried since those two 'sources of information' have become major players. We weren't getting that with Walter Cronkite.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
I don't know if I fully agree with that. TV news isn't a single category. Local news broadcasts are the least bombastic, the most connected to the community. A good local station tells it like it is better than most other sources (along with local newspapers and local news radio). Boots on the ground and all that. It's like they want to retain their credibility at the expense of 'capturing more likes'. Mind you, there's lots happening outside your area that you still need to rely on wider sources, just like the local stations do. But at least they are professionally edited for sources, etc.

National news programs (CBC/CTV Newschannels, CNN, FoxNews, et al) are much more 'hair on fire', competing to earn viewership/ratings by being 'first' with the 'always breaking news'. It get's tiring, but I also find it somewhat transparent. It can be seen through. Same with national newspapers more and more.

If you think internet (and tabloids) are the place to get honest news, well you may end up believing that aliens walk amongst us (not saying they don't necessarily) or that we live on a flat, two dimensional planet or that T3's are addictive, or so many other silly things. I've never seen even national news sources stoop to that level of inanity just to get clicks/viewers/ratings. You better be really good at vetting and editing your sources if you want to rely on what's basically raw feeds for your 'information'. It's all there, depending on where you decide to go. I don't think it's coincidental that we've become much more edgy and worried since those two 'sources of information' have become major players. We weren't getting that with Walter Cronkite.

Gonna correct you on one thing. Tylenol 3 has codeine, which is indeed an addictive substance. Tylenol NO. 3 with Codeine - Uses, Side Effects, Interactions - Canoe.com

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
Reactions: Lola

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
In Canada? no.
travelling in the US, yes. But its not a recent thing. I would've said the same thing 10 years ago about say, New orleans, parts of Chicago etc. I think you have to respect danger in those cities, esp as a tourist.

·
Registered
24,686 Posts

Not a question of bombast. You could have the dryest, most banal and non-sensationalist coverage imaginable. The problem is that when the same item/report-of-crime gets repeated multiple times over the course of several days, the human mind draws the inference that it happens on a frequent basis. The largely rational basis for the phenomenon is that when something really DOES happen frequently, it normally comes to mind easily. However, the logic doesn't work in the other direction. That is, just because something comes to mind easily doesn't necessarily mean it happens often. If you are exposed to the same event multiple times, it feels like it happens often.

I agree with you that bombast doesn't exactly help, but the basic phenomenon is reliably documented to occur even without bombast.

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
It also has caffeine, another addictive substance. But if you've ever got high on T3's, you'll know why there isn't much street market for it. Nor much of an addiction problem, unless people want to be awake all the time, and constipated.
I suspect its widely used mostly by Service Canada employees.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
In Canada? no.
travelling in the US, yes. But its not a recent thing. I would've said the same thing 10 years ago about say, New orleans, parts of Chicago etc. I think you have to respect danger in those cities, esp as a tourist.
One of my pet hates: going through US customs/immigration. :mad:

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
One of my pet hates: going through US customs/immigration. :mad:
they are the worst. the Canadian ones are glorified tax collectors compared to the paramilitary types at US customs.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I've lived in Toronto for 37 of my 38 years of life (one year spent in Peterborough). I've always felt perfectly safe in the city and it's no different now. I spent years living in the heart of downtown and currently live midtown, so it's not like I'm from the 'burbs either. I have no problems living here and will continue to do so as long as I can!

1 - 21 of 36 Posts