The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I am always critical, especially because I cannot read music or as well versed as most, but I do get moments where I feel I'm on top of the world, but only briefly.

I do get goosebumps when I am playing to my fave band and feel I'm in sync and or free- styling perfectly to the song(s)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I think while one is playing, they are abundantly aware of any errors they are making. These errors don't necessarily detract from the song or make it sound bad, so when you go back and listen, you don't notice the mistakes you were making at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
I kinda enjoy listening to recordings I've made of my playing. I know where all the mistakes are and where things can be improved imo.
If you enjoy what you play you should like listening to it too.

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
I don't record myself.....I don't see the point in it. I just sit back and play.....sometimes it's recognizable as a song and sometimes it isn't. If I heard a recording of myself I couldn't say what was right or wrong. It's not a learning process, it's just me having fun.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
The secret is to start off simply, few embellishments, moderate tempos, basic tones. I've come to accept that I sound different in real time when I'm actually playing, maybe because my ears are influenced by visual and tactile responses.

I record lots of basic stuff for student use, usually with Garageband so that I can easily email the track to them. Keeping it simple makes it easier. Sometimes I'll multi-track it, and sometimes include the click track to help them along.

Usually I'm okay with my own recordings, but I'm quick to delete a track I don't like. Something that gets buried deep in the mix I can accept if it's not perfect, I mean a few blemishes here and there are fine if the spirit is intact.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
I'm with @amagras

I think I sound good and then I hear my recording. And then I think, "is that what people are hearing when they hear me?" And, then I think people who say I sound good are liars. It's such a mind-fuck for me.

In my head, I think I'm holding the notes correctly, I think my vibrato is pleasant, I think I have moments of precision, etc...and it's not the case for about 70% of my playing. Some of it has to do with relying on a tremolo arm for most of my life and some of it has to do with impatience in my playing style.

I think hearing the goodness is the equivalent to how our minds fill in the blanks when it comes to sight.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Do you ever feel horrible about your guitar playing, then?...... I am still waiting for the "then" to happen.

Reactions: dodgechargerfan

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
I hate my recordings...playing, voice, doesn't matter.
I dont know how ppl can stand me.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I learned from singing lessons: that we don't hear what we are singing in our heads at the moment, we hear what we are intending to sing. Recording was critical to fixing little pitch issues I had (and probably still have LOL) because it allowed me to go back and hear what I was actually singing, not what I was trying to sing.

I don't think guitar works the same way, but I don't know (something about our own singing being in our head?). But I do know we are usually our own worst critics. We over-estimate the importance of little errors while the audience is absorbing the whole event. They are better at mixing the good and bad into a whole event, while we tear it down into tiny events and then micro-analyse the bad ones.

This is probably a great thing while recording or practicing, but while jamming and performing it is not that consequential, IMO. Personally, I think of live playing more like 'triage' and less like 'a well planned surgery'. As long as the patient lives (we get the to the end and it didn't totally turn to crap, just a few little bumps along the way), then those little nicks and left-behind sponges are irrelevant. Of course, the 'train wreck' bar is much lower jamming than performing with a rehearsed outfit.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am abundantly aware that I suck, but I have fun.
Awesome attitude! :)

Usually the opposite here :)
It's usually the opposite for me too. When playing guitar with the bands I play in everyone is playing and the song is happening and I usually feel pretty good about things, despite mistakes here and there. However, if I'm recording myself at home I notice way more and then I get more self-conscious and sometimes frustration flows from that... but fun is always the main goal so I don't worry about it as much as I used to. I don't make money at music - I'm just in it for fun and sometimes I need to remind myself to keep it fun and lighthearted - I want to approach making music like a kid playing in the sandbox :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.