The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
I spend $10 a week, with a group of 6 guys, so together we buy $60 a week worth of tickets. About 1/3 649, 2/3's Lotto max.

Been doing it for 10 years +

Still working at my day job. :confused:

·
Premium Member
28,370 Posts
If I'm having an absolutely s****y day/period, OR an absolutely wonderful one, I'll spring for a 6/49. I figure one of two things will happen: either the trend I'm experiencing will continue, or the opposite will happen, restoring cosmic balance in the universe. That impulse happens a handful of times in a year. Jackpots of >$20M also prompt sporadic purchase.

I know the house always wins, and it's a waste of money, but don't really waste it on anything else anyway, so may as well waste it on something that stands a very faint chance of being recouped.

Jorge Luis Borges has a wonderful short story of "The Lottery of Babylon", that tells of escalating prizes, the introduction of punishments, fame, and eventually a lottery so complex and vast that it determines which leaves fall. The Lottery in Babylon - Wikipedia

·
Premium Member
19,735 Posts
I play group lotto at work.

Cant win if you dont play. Coworkers have won money but the group hasnt won big yet.

I bet it will happen when i quit.

I dont gamble much.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I play group lotto at work.

Cant win if you dont play. Coworkers have won money but the group hasnt won big yet.

I bet it will happen when i quit.

I dont gamble much.
Man, I hate those office pools. I'm not a big believer in lotto but I would so hate to be the only one to come in to work some Monday morning.

·
Registered
16,159 Posts
Man, I hate those office pools. I'm not a big believer in lotto but I would so hate to be the only one to come in to work some Monday morning.
I once told someone who asked me if I wanted in on it and when I said "no thanks," they asked what would happen if they won & I didn't.
I replied that I would win new coworkers.

·
Premium Member
21,108 Posts
I contribute $6 a week to a small lottery office pool (6 people) and have been a part of that for quite a few years.

It’s not an investment.

I pay $6 a week for a dream.

It’s worth it to me.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
i used to play when i lived up there. since i have come here, i don't. tbo, buying lottery tix here is a pita, and it crosses my threshold of how much i'm willing to put up with to have my "dream" of easy money.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I do... once in a while...
My wife and I have a deal : should we win a bunch of millions, we would share some half of that with our relatives. So I buy "some" tickets when the bucket is full of $$$...

Years ago I was running a group at the job (29 persons). My biggest fear was to win Loto-Max 5/7 : As it generally pays some 1200$, I would have a shitty day distributing some 40$ to 28 persons... It would not give me much on an hourly basis ! It turns out that I left that job... and the group won 5/7 a few weeks later... lol !!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Nope. Used to be called a numbers racket until the gov't took over the scam. The odds are so low its really a voluntary tax.

I will, however purchase a community fundraiser lottery ticket (raising money for a park, rink, new ambulance or whatever). I don't see it as a chance to win though, I see it as a donation.

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Once when a gas station attendant tried to up-sell me with a lottery ticket, I responded that I knew way too much about math for that. He glared at my like I had just spoken disparagingly about his mother. I suppose that in a way I did - as I understand it, gas stations make as much from lottery tickets as they do from gas.

·
Premium Member
21,108 Posts
In our office there are eight people. Six of us participate in a lottery pool.

I don’t even check the numbers. I trust the person who does.

It’s light hearted and fun. I pay $6 a week.

I always imagine how it would feel to be one of the two who choose not to play should our numbers come up......

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many years ago I did a lottery pool with two other guys I worked with. Right off the bat we won about $450 between the three of us. I only did that for a while though before I quit the pool.

I've played the lottery pretty regularly since I was old enough to buy tickets. The most I've ever won was around $130. I have reason to believe they eventually got back every penny.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.