The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you find it helpful in achieving full product satisfaction, or do you prefer to chart your own course?

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Do you find it helpful in achieving full product satisfaction, or do you prefer to chart your own course?
I'm more the eat as much as you can, when you can, because there might not be anything tomorrow. That being said I find that the serving suggestions....when there is any.....are too small for me. I guess you could say I prefer to chart my own course when I can. If there is any left overs for later when I'm finished that's a bonus. Nothing wrong with cold pizza for breakfast with your bacon and eggs....as long as there is no pineapple on the pizza.
As far as 'full product satisfaction' goes I think that relates more to the quality of the food and how you like it prepared rather than the quantity of the food.

·
Registered
24,167 Posts
"Serving suggestions" are actually used by public health folks for purposes of calculating intake of various substances. Things like warning labels and "recommended daily allowancess" are often based on how much of something is found in a typical or "suggested" serving. If X parts per million of something is known to result in birth defects in animal studies, and a "suggested serving" of a food product begins to approach that level of intake, then the product may be prohibited, or at least acquire a warning label. Of course, consumers don't have anyone standing over them to control intake, and it's not like the food industry has the final say over anything other than single-serving microwave meals. But public health folks have gotta start somewhere, and suggested serving size gives them a starting point.

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm more the eat as much as you can, when you can, because there might not be anything tomorrow. That being said I find that the serving suggestions....when there is any.....are too small for me. I guess you could say I prefer to chart my own course when I can. If there is any left overs for later when I'm finished that's a bonus. Nothing wrong with cold pizza for breakfast with your bacon and eggs....as long as there is no pineapple on the pizza.
As far as 'full product satisfaction' goes I think that relates more to the quality of the food and how you like it prepared rather than the quantity of the food.
I've always been an advocate for leftover pizza for breakfast.

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Serving suggestions" are actually used by public health folks for purposes of calculating intake of various substances. Things like warning labels and "recommended daily allowancess" are often based on how much of something is found in a typical or "suggested" serving. If X parts per million of something is known to result in birth defects in animal studies, and a "suggested serving" of a food product begins to approach that level of intake, then the product may be prohibited, or at least acquire a warning label. Of course, consumers don't have anyone standing over them to control intake, and it's not like the food industry has the final say over anything other than single-serving microwave meals. But public health folks have gotta start somewhere, and suggested serving size gives them a starting point.
They also show that the product is part of this complete breakfast.

·
Registered
24,167 Posts
Well that's the doing of the manufacturer, not the folks who check it for safety and nutrient levels.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
All too often you get a package of food and the serving size is 59% of the package or something like that.
You can't evenly divide it.

Reactions: butterknucket

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All too often you get a package of food and the serving size is 59% of the package or something like that.
You can't evenly divide it.
I've never really thought of that, but you make a valid point.

Oh dear God, what are they doing to us?

·
Registered
145 Posts
OP -which "serving suggestion" were you asking about ?
The suggested amount to eat in one shot,
or the glamour shot on the package that is usually subtitled "serving suggestion".

Like, how can anyone resist the picture on that Spam can?

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP -which "serving suggestion" were you asking about ?
The suggested amount to eat in one shot,
or the glamour shot on the package that is usually subtitled "serving suggestion".

Like, how can anyone resist the picture on that Spam can?
The glamour shot.

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was talking about the nice shot on the front of the product, not the nutritional information, but that's ok. :)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I don't worry about the picture. but I do take a look at the nutritional facts table, ingredient list for sugar comparisons and then I calculate the difference in serving size that they used to come up with their numbers when I buy juice or canned stuff. I don't trust our neighbours down south when it comes to food, so I try to buy Canadian or Europe. Its a habit so old that i do it on autopilot.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
The glamour shot.
A lot of the food I buy and eat doesn't have a glamour shot. I leave that for the magazines and what I watch online. I try to buy as "fresh" as I can. For instance almost all the meat I buy is not packaged until the butcher does that when I buy it.. Most of the vegetables are the same way. I find, for me, it's a lot cheaper and tastes a lot better. The nutritional labeling on the packaged stuff doesn't mean that much. EG. the brownie mix I have as back up lists the nutritional value for 1 35g brownie.....supposedly one ninth of an 8"x8" brownie. I usually eat an 8"x8" brownie with at least 2 liters of chocolate milk at one go. Bread, I bake my own.....yesterday I bought a loaf of Rye bread for the first time in months.....the bag is clear, no need for a glamour shot. I would hazard a guess that all the food in this shot is plastic.....no nutritional value at all, just like tofu.

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
No, im suspicious of them...I think theyre often arbitrary or influenced by food industry lobbyists. they also vary widely internationally.
the portions usually seem suspiciously large.
I think north americans have way more caloric intake than is required for our generally sedentary lifestyles.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
No, im suspicious of them...I think theyre often arbitrary or influenced by food industry lobbyists. they also vary widely internationally.
the portions usually seem suspiciously large.
I think north americans have way more caloric intake than is required for our generally sedentary lifestyles.
For the most part all the pretty pictures are just advertising, to get you to buy. Very intentional and paid for by the various companies like Post. I don't think lobbyists come into the picture and the "influence" is the allmighty $. Just the same as this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts