The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have any issue with accepting bank transfers for guitars that you're selling on KIJIJI? I assume that if the person is adamant on the EMT, it must be a scam! Or am I just being old. like my daughter calls me sometimes!! Cheers

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Why not would be my question.

How would it be a scam if they're paying you, as long as you can confirm and accept the transfer prior to handing over the item?

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
i wait for it to clear before they can leave

Reactions: Jimmy Fingers

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not would be my question.

How would it be a scam if they're paying you, as long as you can confirm and accept the transfer prior to handing over the item?
There was a situation in Montreal last year, where a guy sold some running shoes ($500.00 a pair) on Kijiji. Was paid by cash transfer, a few days later was notified by his bank that the funds did not exist. He had to get the media involved so that his bank would reverse their decision on lifting the funds from his account!!

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I do EMT a lot of the time. Depending on the item. For a cheaper item like $100 or less, cash is cool. If it were a $1200 amp, EMT is better. Then it's right into the bank and not in my pocket. I also wait until EMT has gone through before departing from said sale. EMT deposit is common. I am never the one to ask about EMT deposit, but if they suggest, it's cool. Even though I am not a scammer, certain questions raise flags like asking for EMT deposit sends up warnings imo.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I prefer EMT over cash. I wait until the EMT is confirmed then they get the gear. If the deal is in a public place flashing large amounts if cash could be dangerous. Even if the deal is at my house having someone know that cash is there bothers me.
What about people knowing how many expensive guitars are in your house?!

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
What about people knowing how many expensive guitars are in your house?!
Thats a fair concern. I dont let anyone in my house, due to covid concerns...at least thats what I tell them. Noones getting past the porch. Not even in the garage.
Only ever lost a deal due to that once, and he was a weird PITA guy. Sold it for the same $ a week later to a super nice normal guy anyway.

But thats not really an issue with EMT.

Happy to accept EMT, a little reluctant to send it unless its a long distance deal, so the only option.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I've sold a half dozen guitars here in the past year all EMT. No hesitation and no issues. Just sold my motorcycle last weekend on Kijiji - buyer paid by EMT. They never get to leave with the item until it is deposited in my account.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
EMT is my preference over cash for sure. As mentioned earlier in the post make sure you give yourself time to allow it to clear. Sometimes it happens instantly and other times it has taken 30+ minutes for the notification to come through.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I've accepted many EMT transactions for gear I've sold on Kijiji. From small things like pedals to high end guitars costing 4k and up.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
No dollar limit?
Biggest deal I did was for $3,500. It was above his limit so he had to get his limit raised. We did the deal at my house. He did it on his phone. I got confirmation about five minutes later. I have a lot of clients who pay me by EMT so I have automatic deposit setup.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
EMT is my preference over cash for sure. As mentioned earlier in the post make sure you give yourself time to allow it to clear. Sometimes it happens instantly and other times it has taken 30+ minutes for the notification to come through.
I sold a pair of home theater subs for $3k once. The guy told me on the phone he was coming to pickup and he wanted to pay with EMT. I told him to pay before he came as I've seen it take up to an hour to come through. Of course the putz doesn't. I guess he wanted to see the subs to make sure they were mint as I described which they were. So we sat there for 45 minutes waiting for the transaction to complete. Annoying but no way was I letting him leave with the speakers before it actually cleared.

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
Do you guys ever worry about there being some dispute with the seller about whether or not they received the EMT?

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
I don't let anyone in my guitar room. If they are looking at a specific guitar they can see it in the living room or the back deck. I bring the fishman loudbox mini downstairs if they need an amp. Although I doubt I have to worry. I know my hybrid would rip an intruders face off if they came into my house.

I once waited 45 minutes for a transaction to go through. Seems like the best combo is TD bank to TD bank. almost instantaneous. But mismatching banks can take a while

when you send EMt you get confirmation email and when it is deposited you get another email. so there should be no disputes.

Reactions: Lincoln and Diablo

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
There was a situation in Montreal last year, where a guy sold some running shoes ($500.00 a pair) on Kijiji. Was paid by cash transfer, a few days later was notified by his bank that the funds did not exist. He had to get the media involved so that his bank would reverse their decision on lifting the funds from his account!!

I don't understand how that is even possible except in the case of fraud (sending a transfer from someone else's account you've hacked, which is not the same as the money not being there). You can't send an EMT if the cash is not in your account. When you set up an EMT the money is IMMEDIATELY withdrawn from your account and held in a sort of escrow by Interac until it is accepted by the receiver. This is done specifically to prevent the kind of fraud listed above - sending an EMT and then using your cash on something else like bouncing a cheque. Then if the buyer fails to accept (rejected or wrong password too many times, or timeout) you have to cancel it on your end to get the money back.

Perhaps it was some other sort of transfer service but not Interac e(mail)Transfer aka EMT. That shit is safe as houses assuming you follow the repeated advice above re making sure the money has hit your account before letting the buyer walk away.

Do you guys ever worry about there being some dispute with the seller about whether or not they received the EMT?
Nope - you get an email to the effect that it has been accepted.

Forget the notification - just check your account balance/transaction history immediately after accepting - you're already there in the app/website anyways. Instant. Every. Time.

That all said I still take cash and prefer it, especially when buying - I don't bank on my phone. When selling I will accept EMT because I'm usually at home and can use the computer.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
That all said I still take cash and prefer it, especially when buying - I don't bank on my phone. When selling I will accept EMT because I'm usually at home and can use the computer.
This is the key for me. I won't bank on my phone. Lost phones are too easy to hack. I take my laptop which hardly ever leaves the house and tether it to my phone if I'm buying. My laptop is an encrypted Mac and it only leaves the house if I'm doing a deal. Paranoid for sure but I worked for many years securing networks and computers.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts