1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Apparently they may not be making them any nicer either. ;)
If it weren't for shipping, I'd probably give him close to what he's asking for it. Cool piece.

·
Registered
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's pretty much what I would imagine distortion by Casio would sound.
Actually, Casio has made some good stuff. Not absolutely all of it, to be sure, but some stuff that is world class or ahead of its time. I still have my M-10 keyboard, that I modded to get lots more voices out of. Great grinding Hammond organ tone. My MG-510 is a terrific well-made Strat that provides a MIDI out, and ability to change patches using each fret. The SK series were the first affordable sampling keyboards. And the CZ-101 keyboard has a special place in the hearts of many '80s synth-lovers.

If were to judge Yamaha on the basis of those cheap entry-level keyboards that show up regularly on Kijiji for $50, we would be similarly mistaken in our view of Yamaha as a manufacturer.

I can't imagine that any sort of afterthought distortion would be a complete game-changer, no matter who made it, but one should be careful not to confuse the tone coming from the built-in amp and speaker with the sound of the distortion coming through an actual amp and a speaker bigger than 5".

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
I've seen these before--they are oddballs--and not my thing, but give them some points for trying & the guts to do so.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is there a link for The Casio Custom Shop?

I've been spoiled. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Vintage plastic sure had mojo. The new stuff just ain't the same. Lol.

I had the red plastic-covered Hagstrom (tolex-wrapped back & bolt-on-plastic front with chrome-plastic-jewel-plate between its feeble pick-ups. Ridiculous how much they were selling for after Devo made them famous.

Lame as it was, I had A LOT OF FUN with that thing. $75. That was the guitar I was playing when I got kicked out of the local blues band for suggesting we learn some Zappa and Beefheart.

IMG_0595.PNG

And at the time, I also had the Hofner that was covered in red plastic alligator hide with white piping. $100. Sounded great. Short scale so my wife played it as well. Lots of fun with that thing too!

IMG_0596.PNG

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
I saw Eddie Kirkland (older blues dude) playing one of those once in the 80's. My ears are still trying to recover.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
That was the guitar I was playing when I got kicked out of the local blues band for suggesting we learn some Zappa and Beefheart.
"Plastic boots and plastic hat
And you think you know where it's at?" Would sound a lot better coming from someone playing a plastic guitar. ;)
("You're probably wondering
Why I'm here
And so am I
So am I")

P.S. Nice work on the new signature Kapn, I salute you! :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
"Plastic boots and plastic hat
And you think you know where it's at?" Would sound a lot better coming from someone playing a plastic guitar.
"Plastic people, oh baby now, you're such a drag!"

Haha. The joke is on me really. Didn't even consider it at the time...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts