The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, before 8:00AM this morning, I get a phone call. Normally, I give callers 1sec after I say "Hello" to start speaking. And if they haven't by then, I know it's a telemarketer. This caller spoke immediately, so I gave him a bit of my time. An obvious South Asian accent, he tells me he is calling fromVISA and that there were some E-bay and other charges made to my card that appear to be unauthorized use. He tells me they will cancel the card and get a new one to me within 3 business days. Right away my radar goes up. Within 3 business days...in Canada? He asks if I buy things on E-bay, and I say "No". He keeps telling me that they will cancel my card but get a new one out to me, apparently via the teleporter, given the much-promised speed. He then says "I gather you do your banking on-line, via a computer or lap-top?" I tell him no. "You don't use a computer, phone, or laptop for your banking?". "No". "I'll transfer you to my manager". And he hangs up, so I do too. Nobody phones back.

He may as well have started the call with "Hello, I am calling from Phone-Scam International. Are you Mr. Hammer?"

·
Premium Member
17,336 Posts
He may as well have started the call with "Hello, I am calling from Phone-Scam International. Are you Mr. Hammer?"
Thanks for my laugh for the day.

Next time I get a call like this I am going to ask if they are calling form Phone Scam International and if they have talked to my friend Mr. Hammer yet/recently.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
as long as people keep falling for it, scammers are gonna scam.......unfortunately. You gotta bad feel for the old people, alone, don't get a lot of calls, and might actually be excited by the phone ringing and the opertunity of having someone to talk to. :(

It's a horrible crime.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
So, before 8:00AM this morning, I get a phone call. Normally, I give callers 1sec after I say "Hello" to start speaking. And if they haven't by then, I know it's a telemarketer. This caller spoke immediately, so I gave him a bit of my time. An obvious South Asian accent, he tells me he is calling fromVISA and that there were some E-bay and other charges made to my card that appear to be unauthorized use. He tells me they will cancel the card and get a new one to me within 3 business days. Right away my radar goes up. Within 3 business days...in Canada? He asks if I buy things on E-bay, and I say "No". He keeps telling me that they will cancel my card but get a new one out to me, apparently via the teleporter, given the much-promised speed. He then says "I gather you do your banking on-line, via a computer or lap-top?" I tell him no. "You don't use a computer, phone, or laptop for your banking?". "No". "I'll transfer you to my manager". And he hangs up, so I do too. Nobody phones back.

You should have used the old "you've called a crime scene" trick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That’s almost as bad as the CRA scams going around. Can’t believe people are still falling for these things and also that authorities can’t seem to trace these back in any way.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think people are becoming more aware of scams these days. They keep coming up with new scams and they still do get people.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
as long as people keep falling for it, scammers are gonna scam.......unfortunately. You gotta bad feel for the old people, alone, don't get a lot of calls, and might actually be excited by the phone ringing and the opertunity of having someone to talk to. :(

It's a horrible crime.
All lonely old people should be trained on how to keep these scammers on the phone for as long as possible. Gives the elder someone to talk to and it keeps the scammers busy so they aren't bugging the rest of us as much.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The challenge is that technology and web-based services keep changing, and it can be a full-time job keeping up with them enough to be able to spot conspicuous quirks in the phone pitches. If one is young and treats keeping abreast of such things on the same level as keeping abreast of indie bands or celebrity gossip, you'll have the requisite knowledge. If you're older and being au courant in tech matters is not part of how you conceive of being socially competitive, or "sharp", then you won't busy yourself with gathering such knowledge. And even if you do, "fast talkers" can spin a web quickly, and extract key information before one can think "Hmm, that doesn't seem right".

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I like having fun with these guys. Last one that asked about a credit card charge I told him, yes, that was me. That fucked him up. The computer guys I tell them I don't own a computer, and the CRA guys I tell them the cops better come in hot and wearing body armour because I am shooting any of those fuckers who come on my property.

Then there is this.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps it was Brent Butt, but I recall one Canadian comedian who joked about insisting to be served n French, "because it's his right", and then scrunching his face, and going "What? Huh? No, no, I insist on being served in French." Just to mess with them.

I recall back in the days when guys would come around trying to sell you encyclopedias, my mom and I would jerk them around by feigning deep southern accents, and declaring that junior, here, has plenty of education. "Thet's raht, maw. Ah finished grade fohr. Ah figure thet's enough."

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
i have had a replacement card sent in 3 business days or less with my credit card before....just saying....

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
i used to get calls for window replacements, roofing, and insurance all the time. i live in an apt bldg. so i always made an appointment. i figured, fuck them. they wasted my time, i'll waste theirs too.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Cell phone, work phone, home phone all go to voicemail. I return maybe 10% of my calls.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts