The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the ladies in our lives really pay attention to our guitars?

I want to buy a new acoustic, bring it home, leave it out, and take the acoustic being replaced out of the lineup and put it away in its case. Long as they are both natural shade spruce tops.......I'm thinking it should go undetected.

Comments? Has anyone played this game? :D

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Dont go there !!!! LOL, seriously better to bite the bullet right away than later on.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
My wife has a Hawk eye on everything that comes in the door. Luckily she just usually comments either pretty, or pretty ugly. She likes Les Pauls so I’m good.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
You really need to read the G.A.S. book. It's hilarious. I recall one guy bought a music store so he could hide his stash. In answer to your question, I first need to ask one. Does your wife readily recognize her vehicle by what it is or by the color? If it's the latter, you're good to go with your plan. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
My wife had a non-negotiated rule: every instrument I buy she can buy a pet. I'm down to two guitars and a few pianos. We have no house pets but she has three horses. There is no question whose is the more expensive hobby.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I want to buy a new acoustic, bring it home, leave it out, and take the acoustic being replaced out of the lineup and put it away in its case. Long as they are both natural shade spruce tops.......I'm thinking it should go undetected.
Does the new one come with a case? If so, where do you put the cases?? Cases are easy to detect (and count!)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Do the ladies in our lives really pay attention to our guitars?

Comments? Has anyone played this game? :D
My wife would know. I know someone from this forum who had several Teles all same finish and several acoustics all looking similar, kept in the closet and he'd bring them out one at a time so the wife wouldn't know how many.
Not that I haven't been less than forthcoming early on in my 33 year marriage. But my policy now is to be completely honest about what I have. My guitars are major purchases costing about the same or more than a decent 2 or 3 year old car. I think they should be discussed and decided between both of us. Even for smaller purchases (pedals, accessories) costing between $100 and $700 I may not ask for permission but I will definitely make my wife aware of the purchase. If we are both off making expensive purchases with out discussing or letting each other know it wouldn't be long for financial ruin.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I had over 90% of my gear prior to my wife coming into my life.

She knows about 20% of the gear i bought in the last 4 years since she was present at the time deals presented themselves. She gives me a hard time with the 20% so, no reason to fill her in on the rest... ;)

It all looks the same to her and i allready rotate my stuff on a reg basis so she has no clue as to what I have... keep them confused...:D

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
My darling wife knows I'm passionate about vintage gear and makes a sincere effort to ask about anything I'm doting over at any given time. I know she hasn't the slightest clue of what I dither on about but her willingness to ask is still charming and it's one of the many things I love about her. For my part, I show the same genuine interest in her hobbies but am equally ignorant about the specifics of what she enjoys doing by herself.

That said, I keep a separate account for gear that she's privy to via online banking. I never intentionally hide any of those acquisitions and, on those occasions when some modest ROI is realized, we discuss how to best enjoy that benefit together (e.g. dinner out, small purchase, savings toward a trip, etc). Works for us :)

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
No, she doesn't.

She could recall the two Fury guitars, because we drove to Saskatoon both times to get them in person, so she knew Glenn.

Other than that, she couldn't care less.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
My wife is usually the one telling me to go for it when I find something I like. A guitar she would notice, but there's a reason I keep all the pedals on display in an uncountable colourful array of little square boxes.

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not that I'm trying to hide a guitar purchase.

The acoustic I want to replace is one she bought me for my birthday probably 15+ years ago. Can I do a presto-chango without being detected? That's the question. I want her to think the guitar I play every day is the one she bought me.

Playing with fire?

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I had over 90% of my gear prior to my wife coming into my life.

She knows about 20% of the gear i bought in the last 4 years since she was present at the time deals presented themselves. She gives me a hard time with the 20% so, no reason to fill her in on the rest... ;)

It all looks the same to her and i allready rotate my stuff on a reg basis so she has no clue as to what I have... keep them confused...:D
They say GAS is not a fatal disease, but we have one member who may prove otherwise...

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You really need to read the G.A.S. book. It's hilarious. I recall one guy bought a music store so he could hide his stash. In answer to your question, I first need to ask one. Does your wife readily recognize her vehicle by what it is or by the color? If it's the latter, you're good to go with your plan. :)
yes, she constantly is walking up to the wrong vehicle, as long as it's the right colour.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts