The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really a big Strat fan (I far prefer my Tele, R8, and 335). I've owned lower end Strats and haven't loved them. A friend recently traded in a great '57 Reissue Strat that is now available for what I think is a good price (under a grand) so I am considering grabbing it. I figure a higher end Strat like his might cause me to learn to like them and, if it doesn't, I can always return it. Obviously it has a maple board and everything else I own is rosewood, but that isn't a big deal.

I just can't decide what to do, so what do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a vm Squier " strat" and I'd never be without it.
I did go 30 some odd years without one as I never really liked them.
Then I tried the one I have now and something about it made me change my mind.
Try one out and see, it's all personal preference really.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,399 Posts
If you were me, YES. Guitars that suite me are strat based and eS339 sized. Everyone is different. My hand fights with the Les Paul heel and single cut design. It is like Leo got a message from God to design the strat to fit me.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Everyone needs a strat in their guitar stable! Some things you can only do with a strat... Also a great hot rodding platform (e.g., blender pot, bridge pickup base plate, and Deaf Eddie's Fat-o-Caster switches) to make it a 'stealth' guitar that covers more bases than one can imagine. Yes, you need (not want) a strat!

·
Premium Member
9,860 Posts
Nope. I used Strats for years and years, and never got to love them. Must have owned oh gosh, 10? For me, the 1 sound they can do is the inbetween bridge/middle quacky thing, that nothing else I have can do, I love that sound both clean & bright, and overdriven with tone down. In the end, I liked Teles way better, both for sound and functionality, and always had a Les Paul around too. But once the last Strat was gone, I haven't missed them a bit.

If I were doing a lot of home recording or had a studio, I'd have a good one around.

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. I used Strats for years and years, and never got to love them. Must have owned oh gosh, 10? For me, the 1 sound they can do is the inbetween bridge/middle quacky thing, that nothing else I have can do, I love that sound both clean & bright, and overdriven with tone down. In the end, I liked Teles way better, both for sound and functionality, and always had a Les Paul around too. But once the last Strat was gone, I haven't missed them a bit.

If I were doing a lot of home recording or had a studio, I'd have a good one around.

Yeah I prefer Teles in every way...but I could always test drive it for a couple of weeks and return it if I wasn't completely sold on it.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Yeah I prefer Teles in every way...but I could always test drive it for a couple of weeks and return it if I wasn't completely sold on it.
I prefer Teles too, but I'll always keep a good Strat handy. Every now and then the Strat is the right tool for the job, and when that time comes there is no replacement.

·
Registered
11,110 Posts
My first Strat was a 97' Am Std. Lonestar in shoreline gold with a maple fretboard. I liked the look of that guitar but it was never more than my backup at a gig. Fast forward 15 years or so to my 08' Am Std in white with rosewood board and I am sold. If I could only have one guitar this would be it. Better than my Tele, my SG, my LP, my Tokai, my PRS.

So, yes - you need a Strat, but you do need the right Strat.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
I'm not really a big Strat fan (I far prefer my Tele, R8, and 335). I've owned lower end Strats and haven't loved them. A friend recently traded in a great '57 Reissue Strat that is now available for what I think is a good price (under a grand) so I am considering grabbing it. I figure a higher end Strat like his might cause me to learn to like them and, if it doesn't, I can always return it. Obviously it has a maple board and everything else I own is rosewood, but that isn't a big deal.

If thats a real re-issue, jump on it fast!! Under a grand, your stealing it. I am sure you will enjoy it but i am very partial to Strats.

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
yes. you do need a strat. in fact, i agree with milkman here. everyone needs a strat. i've had more strat style guitars than lp style ones. it's like a swiss army knife guitar. it will do anything a guitar can possibly do. i love my lp, it's the one guitar i won't sell when i am low on money. but strats get the job done, whatever the job is. try this. play ONLY your new strat for 90 days. if you do, it'll change everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To the OP - go try an Eric Johnson Thinline and then ponder the question. Can't find or like the look of the thinline? They try his original solid body model. It'll blow your mind.

I'm not a huge fan of EJ but his guitars, straight from the factory are just incredible. There's a thread of mine around here somewhere where I ordered a custom shop strat, waited a year, and it was a dog. Sent it back and then discovered the EJ. Saved me a whole bunch of money. Lol

I've owned a zemaitis, lp, 335 and various other guitars through out the years and the thinline is hands down, the best guitar I've ever owned.

The only guitar that maybe comes close to singing the way this does was the Burns Red Special. That guitar sustained for dayyyyys and sang so beautifully. Completely different animal but man do I Regret selling that one. but I digress...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes. you do need a strat. in fact, i agree with milkman here. everyone needs a strat. i've had more strat style guitars than lp style ones. it's like a swiss army knife guitar. it will do anything a guitar can possibly do. i love my lp, it's the one guitar i won't sell when i am low on money. but strats get the job done, whatever the job is. try this. play ONLY your new strat for 90 days. if you do, it'll change everything.
Yep. Leo got it totally right. Other makers like Gibson may make prettier guitars but Id rather play the crap outta my guitars as opposed to letting them hang there looking all pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

Sometimes it isn't necessarily all about need. The TML didn't really need John Tavares, but he was available for a good price... ;-)

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since no one has asked...

What is it about strats you dont like?

I find the bridge saddles a bit of a pain compared to the simplicity of the three saddle Tele bridge. The previous ones I had would get a lot of fret buzz and they didn't stay setup the way I liked them. I am assuming that was because they were cheaper ones. I also don't like the position of the knobs, but I expect I would adjust to that.

But yes, buy one. In fact, buy a player series. ;)

This one is from the old American Vintage series.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts