The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved the look. I pick them up every time I'm at L&M but they never feel right to me. I think it's the weight and the short scale. I'm willing to dive in with a less expensive Epiphone version but just not sure if it will grow on me. I currently have 4 Strats, 3 S Series Ibanez's and a Duesenberg. I'll trade or sell a guitar to make room.

Has anyone been a "Strat" style 25.5" scale person and yet loved the Les Paul too?

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
My first electric guitar was a Les Paul copy, so maybe I got used to it early, but really I adapt/modify my playing for whatever instrument I’m playing.

I like the fact that a a Tele or Strat obliges me to play in a slightly different way than a Les Paul or a PRS.

Any adjustments I make are mostly subconscious.

When you jump from say guitar to keys or mandolin you have to make similar mental gear shifts.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Yeah good idea for sure, but for me, grabbing a Les Paul or a Strat is most often connected to a song.

Certain songs, whether they’re covers or originals, seem to call for one or the other.

They’re always going to sound different but that’s as it should be.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you need one. Try to find an lpj, you can find them for around the same price as an epiphone.
Been looking at a local Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro. Is that better/worse than an LPJ? I know very little about Gibsons.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Been looking at a local Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro. Is that better/worse than an LPJ? I know very little about Gibsons.
I personally like the lpjs better. They are basically a lp studio, but have a maple neck.
I have one that I swapped out the pcb, change the pickups and I use as much as my standard.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
An LPJ is usually a single P90 at the bridge and kinda different than a regular LP. You would need to try one. I like the LPJ better.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I've always loved the look. I pick them up every time I'm at L&M but they never feel right to me. I think it's the weight and the short scale. I'm willing to dive in with a less expensive Epiphone version but just not sure if it will grow on me. I currently have 4 Strats, 3 S Series Ibanez's and a Duesenberg. I'll trade or sell a guitar to make room.

Has anyone been a "Strat" style 25.5" scale person and yet loved the Les Paul too?
If you like sitting while playing ,.......a LesPaul is not for you !...........very uncomfortable!

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Well that’s the LPJ and LPJr thing straightened out.

My preference is for the LPJr. Every time I try a LP of some kind I pass on them.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Yes. I also really like SGs & have always thought of them as being the Gibson that’s closest to a Strat due to the lighter weight & high fret access.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts