The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if so, is it fiberglass or vinyl liner?

Thinking of putting one in, fiberglass seems appealing, but everyone I know has vinyl, and 1 or 2 have concrete...nobody I know has fg.
Installers all say what they sell is the best.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I had an 18X38 in with an 8 ft deep end installed back in the 80's - vinyl liner with vermiculite and concrete bottom and steel walls). As you can imagine, it was a fantastic pool but if I had it to do over again, I get a smaller one that's easier to maintain. Sold that place but I know that the liner lasted about 25 years. I have a 20 ft octagon pool that was here when I bought the place and I really like it for my needs. Only 4 ft deep so no diving but it's just me and Mrs so that's OK. It's also easy to maintain. You have to fence it so that's another expense. I did replace the liner in that one and the cost was pretty reasonable at about $1200 for the liner. The liners are remarkably strong and last a long time if looked after. They also have a variety of colours now. When I had the one installed back in the the 80's, they were blue and that's it. They go through the winter well and stand the test of time which like I said, is about 25 years. I know nothing about fiberglass so hopefully, someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
The rents had a 20 x 40. Vinyl, steel sides, concrete base. They replaced the liner once in 40 years and when they sold the new liner was in very good condition had lottsa life left in it.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow...10 feet!
We have a river in our backyard about 50’ from our door, but it isn’t swim able. Shallow and mucky. It leads up to lake simcoe, but not as convenient or comfortable as a clean heated private pool.

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
16x32 with vinyl liner. We replaced the original liner about 4 years ago. The original was 18 years old. The replacement liner was about $1,800 or so and we paid a guy about $600 to replace it as well as do some other maintenance like crack repairs in the concrete bottom, etc. That might have also included new coping in that $600 install price. Ours I believe is called a "sports pool" it has a deeper end - but only by about a foot. Great because it heats up quickly.

We'd do the same thing again if we needed to - maybe a few inches deeper.

·
Registered
705 Posts
16x32, steel sides, compacted sand bottom, vinyl liner, coming up on 15 years. Liner is faded and stretched in couple of places but otherwise seems to be in good shape. 8' deep end and deeper than normal shallow end. Keep the water balanced and the liner should last a long time. Running salt instead of chlorine makes that easier (still using chlorine).

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
if so, is it fiberglass or vinyl liner?

Thinking of putting one in, fiberglass seems appealing, but everyone I know has vinyl, and 1 or 2 have concrete...nobody I know has fg.
Installers all say what they sell is the best.
Folks have in ground vinyl, and I used to work as a pool boy.

Vinyl is cheap and easy but you have to change the liner periodically (my folks have gotten away with the same one for 20 years tho; the neighbors let theirs go longer; hilarious, as it was green under the water line from the chorine but otherwise fine).

Avoid concrete like the plague - nicer but expensive and if any problems are much more expensive. Every single concrete pool I had to open needed an acid wash cuz the owners didn't care and let the pool cover go (anything gets in there and that nice white concrete will be gross. Nevermind that one house where they let their toy poodle shit on the frozen pool in the winter (money don't buy class I tells ya). With vinyl, worst case (fouling vs damage) you scrub down the sides with a brush and some detergent.

No experience with fiberglass (I assume molded/prefab like a hot tub). Installation would be cheaper but the parts more than vinyl. Maintenance should be less and cracks can be repaired (but maybe hard to make look pretty).

Reactions: Diablo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts