The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vintage DMM with the 2 prong chord and I've been having issues with it. I bought it off TGP. Originally it was stock (no mods) & calibrated by Howard Davis. It sounded amazing & cloudy, but unfortunately wasn't useable in a chain due to the loss of highs in the dry signal. I eventually had to send it to him for repair because the chord got damaged.

I took the opportunity to get the following mods done:

- impedance increase
- hot pickups mod
- total bypass
- delay time increase (max time with ring-mod/lofi high frequency sound)
- LED on/off

I think it needs an allignment (see below from Howard Davis' website)

"NEED AN ALIGNMENT?

Electronic products containing analog delay ICs have internal trimpots for adjustment by a technician. For proper operation these must be correctly set, and this is done at the factory. In time - especially with the rough handling that guitar pedals are often subject to - these trimpots can become misadjusted, resulting in distortion, excessive noise, improper operation, or no operation at all.

It is impossible to correctly adjust all the trimpots - called "doing an alignment" - without using lab equipment and the proper procedure. An audio oscillator, oscilloscope, and the test and alignment procedure for that particular pedal are required, as well as technical training and experience. Attempting an alignment without these usually just makes the problem worse - and more costly for a technician to fix.

The most common symptom indicating a need for alignment in the Memory Man is overdrive distortion occuring at too low a signal level. Clock noise, a high-pitched sound heard at long delay settings, is another symptom."

It is behaving very strangely and interacts differently with certain pedals before & after it. For example if I only have my compressor on before it, the delay signal is pretty weak and if I increase the time past about 20% there is a high pitch squeel in the background. If I put on either my vintage Electric Mistress or fairfield overdrive the squeel goes away, and I can move the time up to about 60% before the squeel comes back, but I think that's the normal threshold since he modded the the time beyond normal increase. Also the delay sounds way better when I add the overdrive. It sounds more like it used to when I first got it if I put my compressor volume full blast. Also when it's bypassed it does that high pitch squeel at higher delay times even though it's true bypass. I also can't use it with the mix past 40% on my Damage Control Timeline or I guess another weird high pitched squeel.

I'm thinking the hot pickups mod was unnecessary in retrospect. The pedal is great if I'm using fuzz because it doesn't overdrive too much, but I mostly play with just the compressor for ambient stuff now. I'm also using a tele with single coils, and sometimes a rickenbacker with toasters which are really low output.

I brought it to Spaceman and they said it was all the mods causing the problems and the only thing they could do is set it back to stock but keep the true bypass. I don't believe them based on the allignment statement from Howard Davis. I just want to undo the hot pickups mod and have it callibrated/alligned properly. I would send it to Howard Davis again, but he's usually busy and he only receives repairs from a US address. I'm close to the border, but it's too much of a hassle. Anybody have any suggestions for experienced technicians who could take a look at it (preferably within Ottawa)?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I had one of my Memory Man fixes done by a guy in Burlington and a couple were modded by Analogman. PM me if you want Burlington guys email, I’m sure you know how to get in touch with Analogman. Both dudes were great to deal with.

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
I'm currently repairing a medium-age dual-MN3005 DMM for Phil Bova. I can take a crack at yours, but you'll have to wait in line; particularly with holidays and holiday travel coming up.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Sounds like the OP needs the BBD chip biased ( it can drift over time) and maybe has some clock noise. The latter could be a function of delay time increase mods exacerbated by the bias being out of whack.

Reactions: neu18

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,114 Posts
Still looking! Analogman don't have the repair person for this anymore.
That's interesting because I had contacted Mike about having a second one modded recently and he indicated that he still works on them. I currently have one with 2 3005s and wanted to mod a 3008 model to have 4 3005s. I decided against it based on cost, but he certainly still does the work.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting because I had contacted Mike about having a second one modded recently and he indicated that he still works on them. I currently have one with 2 3005s and wanted to mod a 3008 model to have 4 3005s. I decided against it based on cost, but he certainly still does the work.
I think the issue was more reversing Davis' mods than doing ones on a fully functioning one. Either way, it looks like I've found someone who can work on it in my end of the city. Thanks everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts