The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,995 Posts
No mention of a 6505 with a better clean channel, aux power on the back, MIDI capability? That's the important bit ;)

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never heard of him.
You, sir, are not a gjentelman then. :D No love for Tosin Abasi either? I listened to a lot of shred in the 80s and 90s, don't aspire to playing like that (nor do I have anywhere near the chops) but I respect these guys for their abilities and fretboard gymnastics.

I also think Peavey makes some great high-gain amps. If this is inexpensive like their stuff usually is, it should be a big winner.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
You, sir, are not a gjentelman then. :D No love for Tosin Abasi either? I listened to a lot of shred in the 80s and 90s, don't aspire to playing like that (nor do I have anywhere near the chops) but I respect these guys for their abilities and fretboard gymnastics.

I also think Peavey makes some great high-gain amps. If this is inexpensive like their stuff usually is, it should be a big winner.
Never got into the shred stuff, no denying their skill though, something I could never do. Anything faster than a slow blues usually leaves me scrambling :)

I've owned Peavey's in the past and had no complaints about any of them.

Just trying to work up some interest in checking the guy out, so far I'm more interested in the inauguration. What is the world coming too :)

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Djent is the new chug, no?
And maybe not so new anymore and overtaken by something else (when your parents know what it is yada yada...)?

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,935 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if he'll actually use it. He's pretty well always used Axe-fx direct for his guitar sound, live and in the studio (combined with a synth).

Although, he did start a pedal company (Horizon Devices) so maybe he's heading towards a more traditional setup?

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,935 Posts
For those not in the know, who might be interested...

Periphery (Misha's band) is probably often considered one of the *djenre defining bands (at least as one of the bands that has gained some mainstream popularity):

*Djent is a style of music that was essentially born on the internet. Thus, internet shenanigans ensue, like replacing G or J with dj at the beginning of words.

Musically, it's usually pretty high gain, down-tuned (7 and 8 strings are common), and technically difficult. It has this signature tone that is oddly bright and chimey for such high gain. I thought it sounded really weird the first time I heard it, but it works well to help prevent the low tuned notes from getting muddy and lost in the mix.

Most "djent" bands seem to offset crazy chugging and complex riffage with some ambient and melodic parts (often with synths and other electronica style additions). It is interesting stuff. Certainly doesn't fit in any of the traditional genres.

Vocally, it really depends on the band. Usually some kind of blend between growling, screaming, and melodic singing.

The djury is still out on djent for me. I would probably really love playing it (need to add a 7 string to my list of guitars to get), but I'm not sure I would make a point of listening to it often.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
The term was coined by Friedrich Thonderthal from Meshuggah, the band that really started all the Djent thing and I highly recommend even if you aren't into metal but like interesting arrangements plagued of poly rhythms and multiple time signatures.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
He's certainly never heard of you. LOL
It's a big world and no one but my friends have heard of me I would imagine. And no one will have heard of me playing guitar, that's for damn sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts