The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've place an order for Dan Erlewine's "How to Make Your Elextirc Guitar Play Great'. The first victim will be an Ibanez SX140 - 1990 - HSS style - pups, pots and switch change to start. The only thing I've done in the last 30 years is replace a speaker and put some pc cards in a computer.

Anyone wish to share a first time experience here?
[wink-wink, nudge-nudge

·
Premium Member
16,838 Posts
Robert1950 said:
I've place an order for Dan Erlewine's "How to Make Your Elextirc Guitar Play Great'. The first victim will be an Ibanez SX140 - 1990 - HSS style - pups, pots and switch change to start. The only thing I've done in the last 30 years is replace a speaker and put some pc cards in a computer.

Anyone wish to share a first time experience here?
[wink-wink, nudge-nudge

I can't really remember my "first time experience" as far as customization or mods go. I've been doing it for so long out of necessity that I've gained a few skills.

I don't have ANY guitars that I haven't souped up to one extent or another.

Generally cosmetic details are secondary to me. A few dings or an extra screw hole here and there don't bother me. I focus on functional elements first and foremost.

I built this one from parts purchased from an assortment of buyers on E-bay.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I've got both of Dan's books, How to Make Your Electric... and Guitar Player's Repair Guide.
For general setup and repairs etc. (99% of the stuff you want to do yourself) I think How to Make Your Electric... is the right choice. Huge amount of info in there.
The Repair Guide gets more into replacing frets, refinishing, etc. (stuff I probably wouldn't want to do myself).

I think the first big project I undertook was an old Kramer 80's in pieces I picked up for $125. Sanded it down, had a car dealer spray it in Corvette black cherry (looks black but under lights it shows a red sparkle). It was a fun project, but never was a guitar that fit me (cause I'm old), so I gave it to my niece (an aspiring new guitar player).

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've done a bunch of wiring & pickup swaps. I have an old BC Rich Warlock that's in pieces that I keep meaning to rebuild. Needs a new body though...darn thing basically disintegrated when I was sanding it down. Freakin plywood.

My current project is a Squier Affinity Strat I won as the door prize at a gig last year. So far it has a new pickguard (black pearloid) and a set of Kinman AVN Woodstocks. I was gonna swap the neck but I've been tweaking the setup the last few days and it's playing pretty slick now. Some of those Squier's actually have decent necks and I lucked out with this one. The tuners & bridge have to go at some point though, and a new nut wouldn't hurt if I don't replace the entire neck.

I keep thinking about doing a scratch build starting with a Warmoth body & neck but I never seem to get around to it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
some of those squiers are incredible players. I've played some lower end squires that felt better than MIA Fenders.

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My second project (out of necessity) will be an Epi Riviera (MIJ). I'll tell you, working through the F holes and pickup cavities seems just a little more appealing than getting my teeth pulled.

P.S. MILKMAN - nicely done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts