The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Distortion and Overdrive

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  carrionrogue 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was wonder what everyones thoughts are on the current MXR and Boss pedals for overdrive?

Is it worth it to pick up speciality pedals like the ZW44 that is designed to sound like a single artist or can all of these tones be replicated with a standard distortion pedal.

Thanks guys

#3 ·
My personal favorite is the Sparkle Drive Mod. For 200 bucks taxes in, there aint much ground it doesn't cover with its 4 different drove styles + blended clean boost.

I don't have one yet, but I have no real complaints at all with my Boss OD3. It's very natural sounding IMO. Sounds a lot like a Class A EL84 going into meltdown. It's not very transparent though.

#6 ·
Ask a hundred people...get a hundred answers. OD is such a personal thing. My advice is start trying pedals, preferably with your setup (maybe you can buy from your local store to take home and try with the understanding that you can return it) or perhaps go to the store during a non-busy time and try a bunch in a setup as close to yours as possible. It took me trying, buying and selling several ODs until I found a couple that stayed on my board.

Currently I'm using EHX Soul Food and EHX OD Glove. They both have very usable tones across the spectrum AND they stack well together....AND they didn't break the bank.

Some ODs I've been keeping an eye out for used...
Earthquaker Palisades, SO many sounds.
Plimsoul
Sparkle Drive (the original, I haven't really checked out the modded version), I particularly like the blend knob.

#8 ·
Lately I've been pretty happy using the Boogie Flux Drive OD pedal.
I have to tweak the EQ to brighten it up because it tends to sound a bit dark but I like how I can turn down the gain and get a semi-transparent OD or crank it up and watch it turn thick and opaque. It works fine on it's own but it stacks well too, whether in front of or behind. Typically I'll run it at low-ish gain, 9 or 10 o'clock, pushing it with a BOSS SD1 placed in front of it when I want more grind.

To a lesser extent I've also been using the Throttle Box.
It seems more of a one-trick-pony to me but it does that trick pretty good.
I'll run a low/mid gain, maybe about 10 or 11 o'clock or so, to maintain some semblance of transparency, scoop just a touch out of the middle and set the volume to unity, following it with a rather subtle, narrow range chorus and a single-repeat, soft delay.
That gets me into new-rock territory pretty easily.
If I want more gain and harmonics I'll push it with the SD1 as well.

Both Boogies have been residing on my board for a few months now and they haven't given me any reason to make plans to change that.

That said, what works for me might be loathsome to someone else.

As to the OP, I like some BOSS drive pedals but not all of them. The Mega Distortion was one which was particularly difficult for me to find a use for.
I don't have a lot of experience with MXR drive pedals. I've only had 3 of them and the only one I never sold immediately was the Prime Distortion. It's also a one-trick-pony but I find it useful for some things.

#15 ·
hell yes to the rat and hiwatt. I own a proco and a fuzzrocious rat tail, I was using the fuzzrocious on my hiwatt 100 last night and it sounded massive
I have a Proco Rat 2 and it sounds so damn great. Then my friend brought over his Plague Rat made by Lone Wolf Audio and we were playing with that. After some tweaking of the knobs we hit a spot that sounded so good we both just looked at one another and laughed because we were literally amazed at how awesome it sounded.
Needless to say now I need my own Plague Rat...

#16 ·
I'm surprised nobody has asked
a) what sound you are after
b) what amp you are playing

I also did a 10 overdrive shootout a couple years back, it's on here somewhere with details. My goal is to take a mid-high gain amp and tighten it up and make it sound MEANER. The simple cheap Boss SD-1 continues to rule the roost, for my tastes. I also really liked the Maxon OD808 for that application.

For diversity and excellent build in the low gain arena, the TC Spark Booster (full size) is incredible also, and I've used it as a volume/solo boost in the fx loop of 3 different amps, and now use it as my main OD on bass. It's dead quiet, has WIDE range in it's 2 tone controls PLUS a 3 click EQ option (clean/mid/fat), and has enormous volume on tap. At 9 o'clock it's past unity with 2/3 of the sweep still to go. It's a little smoother/less mean and grindy than the other 2 above.

Oh, and +11111100000000000 to a RAT + Hiwatt. When I had my '81 50 watter, opened up a bit, and with the RAT, that was one of my favourite sounds I ever made. I like mean and that was F*KING ANGRY MEAN

#17 ·
My goal is to take a mid-high gain amp and tighten it up and make it sound MEANER. The simple cheap Boss SD-1 continues to rule the roost, for my tastes. I also really liked the Maxon OD808 for that application.
+1 for the maxon OD808 in those applications. I used to tighten up a mesa triple with a maxon, brought out some nice harmonic content as well. This also worked really well on my JCM800 and orange dual terror. Similar results were achieved with an OCD also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.