The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I wanna be able to record my stuff anytime day or night without annoying everybody around. I usually mic my 4x12 and I get great results but when I wanna do it at 10 pm, it's another story. I'm recording with the Firepod from Presonus (excellent interface) and my Mac G4 and Cubase LE. I tried Line6 POD, Rocktron Chameleon and Voodu Valve, some pedals and it's shitty, real shitty. Maybe I'm too picky but those modelers aren't doing it for me. They are not "bad" sounding when paired to a power amp but for direct like I wanna do, I find them too digital and lifeless. What do you guys use or recommend?

-Eric

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the POD, not the XT. As for the Rocktron stuff, I thought the Voodu Valve was different (in a good way) than the Chameleon but to me they are alike and I don't like those for what I want to do, way too digital, compressed. And believe me I tweaked, I spent more time tweaking than recording and to me, it's not good. I don't mind tweaking but I can't spend more time tweaking than playing, it's non-sense to me.

I

·
0 Posts
Hi Eric,

I've been using a Palmer PGA-04 for almost two years now and I've grown to love this unit. This is an active direct load for your guitar amp that has an excellent sounding, and very tunable, filter section that lets you record your amp direct. There's another thread on here where I go into how I've come to prefer this over mic'ing my amp. Saved By Technology in Toronto has recently become a Palmer dealer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iaresee said:
Hi Eric,

I've been using a Palmer PGA-04 for almost two years now and I've grown to love this unit. This is an active direct load for your guitar amp that has an excellent sounding, and very tunable, filter section that lets you record your amp direct. There's another thread on here where I go into how I've come to prefer this over mic'ing my amp. Saved By Technology in Toronto has recently become a Palmer dealer.

Dude, this is what I need!! Thanks for all the infos and links, I will look for a bit more infos on this product. Thanks again!!

I

·
0 Posts
dufe32 said:
Dude, this is what I need!! Thanks for all the infos and links, I will look for a bit more infos on this product. Thanks again!!
My pleasure. I've logged a ton of studio time with the PGA-04 now. If you need any help with it let me know. One thing to mention: it is not a speaker. It sounds great direct, but it's not the same as mic'ed speaker (despite what they claim on the Palmer site). It has its own sound that is is musical and very usable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts