The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeping up with the Digital Camera thing is like computers. They are coming out with new ones every month. I had always wanted a nice Nikon and was looking at the D50 and D80 models for a long time. They were in the $1000 to $1500 range here. While on vacation we stopped in St Maarten and I spotted a D80 with upgraded lens and all the toys. Got it for $1000 right there. This camera takes amazing pictures and the auto focus is the best I have ever had.

I notice a lot of these ultra thin cameras coming out. Does anyone have one of these new digital cams? They can slip into your pocket.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i'm looking forward to buying my first digital camera this year. i want one with as few gimmicks as possible, and no movie feature. size is not a factor, either. i'm only interested in quality photos. the panasonic fz series is the one i am considering most seriously.

-dh

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not checked out the panasonic line. I have usually purchased Canon in the past but I really like all the features on the Nikon. So far it is fantastic. These are the higher end cameras though, You can get a base line digital camera now for under $200 but its the old saying, you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
I've always been intrigued by those Panasonic digital cameras as their lenses are supplied by Leica, who from what I can remember, used to be one of the best camera lens makers. They also always get great reviews. Never thought about buying them tho.

I still have my 3year old 2megapixel Fujifilm which still works fine for what I use it for. I can see digital SLR cameras going for less than $500 in a couple of years or so. I have seen them in the $800 range lately.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
my cellphone has a camera on it.None

·
Registered
822 Posts
Although there are a hundred considerations to make when buying a digital camera, the two most important factors are those which directly affect the image; the lens and the sensor. Canon appears to have the best sensor and Leica has always been the Rolls Royce of lenses with Nikon and Canon being the Cadillacs. Any one of these three brands will get you a fine camera if you actually buy the best lenses to go with it. Some of the cheaper digicam models of these manufacturers actually have better lenses than the kit lenses available with their more expensive dslr's. You also have to compare lens to lens and really can't generalize. The differences in quality are subtle.

As far as megapixels go, you need as many as you need and no more. If, for example, you will never print any bigger than 8x10, 3mp is enough and having 4 or 6 or 8 will be no advantage. However, having an 8mp camera will allow you to crop photos more drastically without losing resolution needed to print. You don't always need a lot but it's better to have too much than too little since you can downsize without losing quality but you can't upsize without serious loss.

It's a world of trade-offs that can be mind boggling. Here's a good site to help anyone buying a digital camera make an informed decision.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
SLR. Had a point and shoot Nikon Coolpix for a few years to warm up on and one day I saw the 20D on sale a year and a half ago so I bought it immediately. Already had some lenses `cause I had an EOS-55. The 20D has been replaced by the 30D now. I did a lot of shopping around before getting the Canon...almost got a Nikon but since I`ve been using Canon for so long I knew what to expect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts