The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations/advice for buying a set of digital calipers. Someone has asked me for the neck thickness of a guitar I'm currently selling here on the forum. I've thought about getting some calipers for this very reason. I don't want to spend a ton of money but don't want junk either. Are there any particular features I should be looking for? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
18,789 Posts
What is the maximum that you would consider spending on these?
Everyone's definition of a "ton of money" varies.

These are at the lowest end of the spectrum that I would consider spending.
Blindman's Fractional Electronic Caliper - Lee Valley Tools
Calipers Measuring instrument Tool Gauge

Mastercraft Digital Caliper, 6-in | Canadian Tire

Calipers Tool Cutting tool Measuring instrument Stylus

Here is another link to what Princess Auto has..
Search results for 'digital calipers' | Princess Auto

I was very fortunate to receive a set of used calipers as a gift and I use them often for all sorts of measurements.

Hopefully, luthiers, machinists, etc in the forum will comment.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the maximum that you would consider spending on these?
Everyone's definition of a "ton of money" varies.

These are at the lowest end of the spectrum that I would consider spending.
Blindman's Fractional Electronic Caliper - Lee Valley Tools
View attachment 227080

Mastercraft Digital Caliper, 6-in | Canadian Tire

View attachment 227078

Here is another link to what Princess Auto has..
Search results for 'digital calipers' | Princess Auto

I was very fortunate to receive a set of used calipers as a gift and I use them often for all sorts of measurements.

Hopefully, luthiers, machinists, etc in the forum will comment.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks for the info, Dave. I'd like to keep in under $50 or $60. I don't know how often I'll use them, but they might be handy to have. I just kind of want to know if I need 1ooth of an inch, 1,000th of an inch...etc.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll bet that you are going to start to use them for other (non guitar) applications now that you have them.
Ha. So true. I've measured all the TV remotes, a bread board, a staircase spindle. I'm wearing it on my belt right now and will likely be measuring stuff at work all day. Haha.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Canadian Tire should be investigated for their regular price but now it's on sale scam.
That's what every retial joint on the planet does. There's zero law against what companies charge for their product. In fact in Canada, companies and private sellers can ask whatever they want for an item. The responsibility for not being ripped off or scammed as you put our falls to the buyer to do their own research. There's a Latin term for it (that I can't remember) but it basically translates to buyer beware.

·
Premium Member
9,794 Posts
Princess Auto also sells a decent set cheap. I've had mine for 6-7 years, no issues just battery replacement.

EDIT - my latest beef with that pricing thing is Indochino. Son's getting married in spring, so we've all started watching for sales etc. Indochino sells everyday at either $379 or $399, but their advertising says regular $999. I bet in the history of the franchise they haven't sold a suit at $999.

·
Premium Member
9,794 Posts
Good god, I typed that ^^ and when I went back to the front page I got an Indochino ad. I'm too old for this world lol.

·
Premium Member
19,019 Posts
Because I work for a Japanese company we use Mitutoyo brand.

Had you been looking a few years ago I likely could have given you a pair. We closed a plant in Brantford, On in 2012, and there were lots of spares. I kept a nice set for my personal use.

G

·
That's what every retial joint on the planet does. There's zero law against what companies charge for their product. In fact in Canada, companies and private sellers can ask whatever they want for an item. The responsibility for not being ripped off or scammed as you put our falls to the buyer to do their own research. There's a Latin term for it (that I can't remember) but it basically translates to buyer beware.
There are laws dealing with false advertising.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Caveat Emptor

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
There are laws dealing with false advertising.
It's not false advertising, you can feel free to review the consumer protection act for your home province and it will give you some more insight rather than tossing out options. But anyways the thread has been off the rails long enough. I'm outtie!

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Reactions: bzrkrage
1 - 20 of 33 Posts