The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading about these guitars for a while here on the forum I bought one from another TGP'er a little over 2 weeks ago. I've played it at home exclusively for now (no gigs until mid-Feb) through my Bogner Shiva and I've got to say I'm not dissapointed. I won't say anymore about it vs. a Gibson other than to say I played several CS and production Gibsons last weekend when I first got it and I'm not sorry I decide to save the money.

The neck feels great (much better than the current sticky Gibson Standard necks), the fret work is great, guitar looks nice and isn't too heavy - although being a strat guy it is a bit bulky for me I'm digging the tones although I will probably do a wiring and pots upgrade to see if that helps or if I want brighter pups with the Shiva - an amp that it naturally on the dark side.

So bottom line...if you're thinking about it, do it. Nice guitar and for less than $1k (with upgrades) you can get a very good sounding LP without a stupid looking headstock :D

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
That's a nice top.
Are they still MIJ?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dwagar said:
That's a nice top.
Are they still MIJ?
ApparentlyIcan'tjusttypetheword"yes"toansweryourquestionsoI'mwritingthisannyoingrunonsentenceinthehopesthattheadminswilltakenoticeandfixsomeofthesillypostingrulesonthisforum.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
TimH said:
So after reading about these guitars for a while here on the forum I bought one from another TGP'er a little over 2 weeks ago. I've played it at home exclusively for now (no gigs until mid-Feb) through my Bogner Shiva and I've got to say I'm not dissapointed. I won't say anymore about it vs. a Gibson other than to say I played several CS and production Gibsons last weekend when I first got it and I'm not sorry I decide to save the money.

The neck feels great (much better than the current sticky Gibson Standard necks), the fret work is great, guitar looks nice and isn't too heavy - although being a strat guy it is a bit bulky for me I'm digging the tones although I will probably do a wiring and pots upgrade to see if that helps or if I want brighter pups with the Shiva - an amp that it naturally on the dark side.

So bottom line...if you're thinking about it, do it. Nice guitar and for less than $1k (with upgrades) you can get a very good sounding LP without a stupid looking headstock :D

Wow, that is a beautful top! I have wondered about these. How would you describe the pickups tonewise? I have contemplated getting one and flipping the magnet for that "Peter Green" sound. Anyways, nice score.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
I love the look of those Edwards. They have a nitro finish on them too which is cool for a guitar in that price range. I have heard they are a little lighter then Gibson Les Pauls too.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Very cool looking guitar TimH. I think I know who you bought it from. :wink: How would you say it compares soundwise to a Gibson Les Paul?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the compliments. I got this one from a guy in Ohio on TGP. Anyhow, I don't want to be one of those guys who says that my $700 guitar is better than your $3500 guitar or whatever. But I'll say this...there is no way you'd catch me spending any more than I did on this guitar for a LP again. It sounds big a fat and mean like a good LP should. Perhaps not as PAF-ish as I'd like but that's electronics. I plan on putting some nice wiring, pots and pups in it eventually. I like how it plays much better than any LP standard, classic, studio or production guitar I've played from Gibson.

Mario...if you'd like to give it a spin sometime that's not a problem!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
TimH said:
Thanks for all the compliments. I got this one from a guy in Ohio on TGP. Anyhow, I don't want to be one of those guys who says that my $700 guitar is better than your $3500 guitar or whatever. But I'll say this...there is no way you'd catch me spending any more than I did on this guitar for a LP again. It sounds big a fat and mean like a good LP should. Perhaps not as PAF-ish as I'd like but that's electronics. I plan on putting some nice wiring, pots and pups in it eventually. I like how it plays much better than any LP standard, classic, studio or production guitar I've played from Gibson.

Oh so you didn't get this from who I thought was selling it. I misread what you wrote in the first post as he was selling an Edwards Jimmy Page model that has active electronics. BTW what's TGP? :confused:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Yep electronics should get you very close to the sound you are after.

Lots of pickups to choose from.

Should be a great axe when you get it all done.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
TimH said:

Thanks Tim, I may take that invite sometime! In the meantime, enjoy:DevilGuitar: .

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
TimH said:

As far as I know, the stock electronics in Edwards guitars aren't that bad. Pickups are obviously a personal preference, but I am pretty sure the pots, switch, and jack are good quality in those guitars.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
torndownunit said:
As far as I know, the stock electronics in Edwards guitars aren't that bad. Pickups are obviously a personal preference, but I am pretty sure the pots, switch, and jack are good quality in those guitars.

Yeah I'm sure they're fine...the pickups are better than most. I'll gig with it this weekend and let you know how I think they work live

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You might want to take a few minutes to adjust your pickups to your taste prior to playing.
And keep in mind caps can give you a bit of a fairly inexpensive tonal change too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tim, that's a nice guitar you got there. :banana:

I myself got a MIJ Tokai Love Rock from "Axeandyoushallreceive" last spring and I really love this guitar. It is not as nice as yours though, being black.

PUs had been changed to a SD Jazz at the neck and '59 at the bridge. I changed the jack and rewired it, just to improve on this side.

I think these MIJ are great for the price you can still get them.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
this is my latest Edwards...got all of mine used and they are a steal over here. Not usually a fan of customs but been having fun playing for the last few days.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I did the gig at church this morning and I'm happy to report it went very well. I'm not a huge fan of the Duncan pickups but that's no because they suck but just because I'd prefer something more PAFish. I got good cleans and dirty sounds as well as the guitar stayed in tune for the most part...I had to tune it once in the first set and that was it :)

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought it from a TGP'er. AS I underderstand Edwards IS ESP...just like Fender Japan is to Fender USA.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts