The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
nevermind....I tried the 4 ohm and 16 ohm again tonight and it wasn't that much different.
I am getting older so I know you will understand.
G.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are in good company. I know others that are getting older also.
BTW...You are welcome to try my neo speaker wth your new amp.
The depth of my (Tonkerlite) speaker from QComponents website is:
Depth: 5.1", 129.0 mm
Eminence TonkerLite - 16 ohm - Guitar Speaker - Free Shipping Across Canada over $150
thanks for the kind offer Dave...I think I'll take you up on the offer as the neo magnet may just work.
The original G12P-80 speaker has a depth of 4.7" BUT the magnet on this speaker is a full size shape.
As the neo magnets seem to go into a deep taper, I think the transformer on the amp will miss that small area that extrudes the most on the neo.
Just wondering BUT if the speaker sounds better, I think it would be relatively safe to give it a try.
see you soon
G.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the VM ok handling a mismatched load?
Dave, isn't your TL 8 ohm?
HEy Dave ( ya both of you)...I know this whole thread is confusing so let me explain...

I have this pretty nice extension cabinet...10" lil Buddy and a 12" Weber Both 50 watts both 8 Ohms.
The cabinet was wired in parallel when I first tried it on the VM... ( 4 Ohm load)
Amp sounded fine BUT because the extension cabinet is open back, I thought why not try it in series ( 16 Ohms)...
I know all this stuff is very subjective but I will tell you that I think the 16 Ohms setup was a much better match for overall tone.

Bottom line, the VM wants an 8 ohm load with a 4 Ohm min.
I hope this clears things up a bit.
G.

Reactions: davetcan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts