The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a tusq nut and saddle on my acoustic because I've been told since I have an under saddle pickup, tusq is much more constant than bone therfore tusq is better when using an under saddle pickup. Should the nut also be tusq? What are your thoughts on using a bone nut with a tusq saddle?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
exhaust_49 said:
Right now I have a tusq nut and saddle on my acoustic because I've been told since I have an under saddle pickup, tusq is much more constant than bone therfore tusq is better when using an under saddle pickup. Should the nut also be tusq? What are your thoughts on using a bone nut with a tusq saddle?
Doesn't make a difference which materials in combination with each other. I have a hodge podge on both of my acoustics.

The saddle is the most important piece to worry about when it comes to tone, don't change your nut, especially bone -> tusq.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my strings do catch quite a bit when tunning up but the tunning stability of the guitar is great. The guitar is bright enough and I don't want to make the guitar any brighter so I'll stick with tusq.

Thanks alot Jeff.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I did the walrus ivory saddle and the bone bridge pis and it made a difference on my Taylor GSRS. I noticed more defintion and clarity on the low stings and I got more chime on the higher end.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Do you have any recomendations for classical upgrades?

Just thinking with Nylon you will have some options with stiff and soft strings to improve tone. The Nut, Bridge and way you install strings could also affect the sounds.

Sorry to change your direction a bit but it is kinda related.
Bev

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Bevo said:
Do you have any recomendations for classical upgrades?

Just thinking with Nylon you will have some options with stiff and soft strings to improve tone. The Nut, Bridge and way you install strings could also affect the sounds.

Sorry to change your direction a bit but it is kinda related.
Bev
Sorry, I know nothing about classicals.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just wondering if anyone can direct me to somewhere I could get my hands on a bone Saddle, and Pins for my Larrivee.

i'm going to change the nut, but not until I have a little more cash, I assume thats a relatively big job?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Just orderd some bone pins for my Taylor 914c. If you run Elixer 80/20s there is no need, the guitar is extra bright with them. But I switched to the much warmer sweeter sounding PB strings, now I have room to make the subtle change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts