The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all other things being the same, what is the difference between a .022uf and .047 cap. To make it simple, one volume, one tone, three way switch. 1. with humbuckers. 2. with P90s. Would pot values figure into this? Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
Definitely use .022 so your tone pot does not bleed off highs severely -- do it for both HBs and P90s. Definitely 500K (preferably above 500K measured vs. below) pots for HBs. You could try either 500K (my choice) or 250K for the P90s -- alot depends on the specific make of P90. I'd also recommend no-load tone pots with either pickup type.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How will that play out with 250k and 500k tone and volume pots?

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
The higher the cap value the darker the tone!...In the simplest terms!
When you say "darker" do you mean less treble and more bass?

·
Registered
329 Posts
With all other things being the same, what is the difference between a .022uf and .047 cap. To make it simple, one volume, one tone, three way switch. 1. with humbuckers. 2. with P90s. Would pot values figure into this? Thanks
Actually, I probably should not comment on these technical inquiries however my limited understanding when choosing capacitors is the higher the cap value the darker the tone. I have used this as guidance on my tone journey and has served me well.

I do find this very topic extremely interesting and enjoy learning from forum members comments and perspectives...

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, two P90s, .022uf cap, 500k volume and tone pots (audio taper/linear???) too bright?? (I like some tonal range but do like to get a woman tone sometimes)

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
About 0.025uF ( ba dum dum chsh).

So, the value of the cap determines whether or not you roll-off just the very top end (shrill) in basic terms.
I think you mean the right thing, but the more accurate way to phrase it is that the cap value changes the corner frequency of the filter. That is the point t which the filter ( in the case of typical guitar tone controls, a first order LPF, or low pass filter aka high cut) starts to work, cutting 6 db per octave (that's what the first order part means- how aggressive or steep the cut is.

So a smaller value raises the corner frequency ( so you are only cutting the extreme top end) and a lower value lowers
the corner freq ( sometimes into the mids), above which the response is rolled off progressively more the higher you go.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you dumb this down a bit please?

I think you mean the right thing, but the more accurate way to phrase it is that the cap value changes the corner frequency of the filter. That is the point t which the filter ( in the case of typical guitar tone controls, a first order LPF, or low pass filter aka high cut) starts to work, cutting 6 db per octave (that's what the first order part means- how aggressive or steep the cut is.

So a smaller value raises the corner frequency ( so you are only cutting the extreme top end) and a lower value lowers
the corner freq ( sometimes into the mids), above which the response is rolled off progressively more the higher you go.

·
Registered
329 Posts

These conversations can get complicated quickly, perhaps I should listen to my gut feelings more often and stay away!!
I do enjoy reading the knowledgeable members posts ,,,,,

L

·
0 Posts
Me too please. This always confused the shit out of me.
scratch.gif

How will that play out with 250k and 500k tone and volume pots?
I had 250's as volume and 500's for tone on one of my P90 guits. I liked the roll off.
I can't quite recall, but I think the caps were 22's.
Sounded great though (Lindy Fralins).

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Gibson uses .015 in a p90 guitar, at least that's how my Junior came. I switched it to .006 because I thought it was too dark with the tone knob at zero. If you watch the Lindy Fralin video about cap values you will see that a cap value can make a difference in tone with the tone pot at 10!

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Sorry, there was a good one liner above that I thought took care of that:

The higher the cap value the darker the tone!...In the simplest terms!
Reading that back I see some people still have questions

When you say "darker" do you mean less treble and more bass?
So first things first, any passive tone circuit is cut only. There will never be more anything (except in relative terms, which may have been the meaning here, but so we're clear).

To rephrase the ..'darker...' line: : bigger cap cuts more of the spectrum.

What this means is that (see my previous post) the point at which the high end rolloff starts drifts downwards as you raise the cap value. The amount or rate of rolloff remains constant (assuming the tone pot doesn't move ), but as an example, a cap value of A would give you a rolloff that started at XHz, was -6db down at 2*X Hz and 12 db down at 4*XHz. A value of 2*A would start at 1/2*X, be 6 db down at X, , 12 at 2*X and 18 at 4*X . That's assuming max cut on the tone knob.

So, the value of the cap determines whether or not you roll-off just the very top end (shrill) in basic terms.
Yes, but that value would likely be smaller than 0.022uF for most pickups. Super small values are good for such utilitarian tone control - removing shrillness or excessive icepick type top end from the sound, as well as taming hiss or noise but will not do very much noticable on low to moderate settings because it's licking (random example pulled out of my anus) 2 db off 10kHz (there's not much up above that besides 'air'). Lower than that (cap value) point (depends on the pups; can't give you a universal value) will make it more musically useful because milder settings will make a noticable change. There's a balance to be struck, and to a point it depends on personal taste and what you use the tone knob for (noise control is valid if you like the pups pretty much full on otherwise), where the max cut is not too crazy dark/muddy but the bottom of the range is still useful.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts