The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of us are familiar with the Peavey 5150 amplifier as a Van Halen "signature" amp (identical to the 6505). We take the name at face value, but do you know where the number came from? Just listening to an episode of the Jim Jeffries Show podcast, and learned that, in California, a "5150" is a charge that allows the police to detain you because you pose a danger to yourself.

Not really what I was expecting.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Insanity of some sort.

I want the 6534+.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It's 5150 tiiiimmmme!!

First time I heard it explained was the live VH concert video "Live Without a Net" from New Haven, CT circa 1986. That was pre-5150 amp when it was just the name of Van Halen's new (at the time) album 5150, the name of EVH's studio and the number he had painted on his guitar.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
5150 is a police code for someone being held for psychiatric reasons if I remember correctly. I thought every Eddie fan knew that one. :)

·
Registered
24,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5150 is a police code for someone being held for psychiatric reasons if I remember correctly. I thought every Eddie fan knew that one. :)
I suppose they do. I just wasn't that committed of an Eddie fan to know that little detail. I just thought it was a Peavey product-model number.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I suppose they do. I just wasn't that committed of an Eddie fan to know that little detail. I just thought it was a Peavey product-model number.
It became an Eddie-ism as soon as they released the "5150" album back in the mid 80's. He was even putting it on his guitars back then.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A screen cap from Van Halen's "Hot for Teachers" video:

The cover of Van Hagar's first single "Why Can't This Be Love", from the album "5150":

Outside EVH's 5150 Studio:

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
On our next episode, we discuss "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge".

Reactions: BSTheTech

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
It's the average cost of good quality hearing aids for musicians who have played with this amp on ten for too many years.
They dont sound good on 10, fyi.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
On our next episode, we discuss "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge".
Which was an error. The acronym came from the British police way back. When they found a (female) murder victim's dead body with evidence of sexual activity prior to being killed (possibly a connection to the murder) it got a toe tag with "Found Under Carnal Knowledge".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts