The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smoke on and off in the later years at high school. Then in my 20's until I was about 36 I smoked a pack of Players Light Regular everyday. If it was a drinking night, an extra half to a pack. I am very happy not to smoke now. I am still waiting for the lung cancer to show up, but so far so good...

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
From 1966 to 1974, evenly on and off. A pack would last me 3 to 4 days. Never heavy, never really addicted. My mother could smoke socially and never have another until the next weekend. Had a spouse who totally addicted. Seen it in my work too. I had many clients with mental health problems. Just could not quit. Smoking had some medication relief

Now this where I can start my rant. I wouldn't doubt it if more people worldwide have died from smoking related disease since 1945 than were killed in WW1 and WW2 combined. Therefore I have no problem referring to Tobacco companies as Nazi merchants of death. Rant off/

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Never tried it. However, I grew up in a smoking house. Mum was a two pack a day smoker for the entire time I lived at home, Dad smoked a lot less cigarettes but smoked a pipe a lot and cigars occasionally. Stinking, foul, disease causing, shitty habit. They pissed me off and I let them know, to no avail. Caused quite the row a few times. They quit around retirement age. Dad never apologized for smoking, though Mum did several times later in life when she'd learned to hate it. Fuck I despised them for smoking.

My first couple of workplaces were horrendous with smoke, and the bars and other live music venues were even worse. Bad air was one of the reasons I didn't gig as much as I could have, and would have, liked. By the time the laws changed in my favour, we were also faced with DJ dance clubs, sports bars, disco, stiffer drinking laws, reducing the number of venues even more.

Rant alert. Tobacco should be outlawed except for use in first nations ceremonies. No, I won't discuss it. Major chip on my shoulder...even after 60 years.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I smoked on and off in high school but was never addicted. My wife smoked a lot and eventually quit but it was too late; she died from emphysema about 10 years after she quit.

·
Premium Member
3,950 Posts
Smoked a lot from 13-20ish, then quit. I mix a bit in with hash or weed sometimes so maybe I haven't completely quit. I still have the occasional cigar too. Not worried about getting hooked on cigarettes again though. They are gross.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Never tried it. However, I grew up in a smoking house. Mum was a two pack a day smoker for the entire time I lived at home, Dad smoked a lot less cigarettes but smoked a pipe a lot and cigars occasionally. Stinking, foul, disease causing, shitty habit. They pissed me off and I let them know, to no avail. Caused quite the row a few times. They quit around retirement age. Dad never apologized for smoking, though Mum did several times later in life when she'd learned to hate it. Fuck I despised them for smoking.
What he said.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
I smoke pipes and cigars on occasion, but not as a habit or addiction. I used to smoke cigarettes from my teen years until about 30, off and on. I wasn’t a heavy or regular smoker.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Like every kid, I did try when I was 13 or so. Did retry in college, this was a "cool" thing. Didn't enjoy either.
Some of my friends did smoked and quit or tried to. Seem like a worst drug than cocaine. I saw them becoming monsters during the first weeks of quitting.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Both parents were heavy smokers. I smoked regular for 15 years. Quit for 13 years now. I am very active and feel like my lungs are back to normal.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
First cigarette was at age 10 till I turned green and next was at age 12 and smoked fairly regular after that and managed to quit at age 33 for about 10 years till a stressful incident showed up and was smoking like crazy but then managed to quit again for about 5 years again another incident. Smoked for another 2 years or so and then quit till my mom tried offing herself well one day felt really like crap was walking sideways almost and had some blood work done hemoglobin was at 49 told to go immediately to emerg got there and it dropped to 47 blood transfusions galore and 3 days later filled my lings up with blood clots and found after a CT scan and discovered my IPF and COPD ( caused from smoking ) along with emphysema ( caused form smoking to ) quit that day May 17th 2015 and never again will I touch a smoke.Its never to late to quit cause I got to tell you breathing is like lifting 450 lbs all day long you just get so tired and breathing is a work out for the lungs.
And no it isn't easy as said before is harder to quit smoking then it is to stop drugs but the benefits are greater good luck to you .

·
Registered
116 Posts
I started at 10.. but.. being 10, I couldn't get them regularly. I could by 14 though. I quit when I was 24 and got fat... now I'm not sure which is unhealthier

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
I never liked the smell and as a kid if I saw a visitor had cigarettes I would try to sneak them and hide them.
As I grew up I had friends who smoked--so I tolerated it more, but only ever smoked the odd the if I was drinking--and I haven't even done that for a very long time.
Just not my thing.
Guitar stuff is expensive enough without buying tobacco.

But I get that some people like it.
And that some don't but have trouble quitting it.
(I have some friends who smoke pipes (Tobacco), and while I don't share that with them--the handicraft & skill in some of the pipes is quite impressive--and one buys old pipes & restores them.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts