The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title said, did you ever bought a guitar from someone in the US?. I'm seing many deals lately, but i wonder how much tax and custom fees i'll end-up paying if i do buy from the states?..

anyone as info on the subject?...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
You pay GST and PST. You also pay brokerage $5 USPS, or about $40 with UPS. Thats for US or Canadian made guitars.............

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how will they determine the amount of taxes on it?...and is there a way to know the duty fees if it's a US guitar like a strat or Gibson?...

what's sad is you can't realy get good deals on guitars in Canada it seems

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
There is no duty on US or CDN made guitars. They usually tax the insured amount............

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you can, get it shipped by USPS and not UPS, FedEx, etc. They tack on extra brokrage fees.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Last year I bought a Martin guitar from a U.S. dealer. Before I did I asked the same questions that you are now. I paid GST and PST (I’m in Ontario) plus shipping... there was no duty because it was a U.S. made guitar. I went to Steve's and the Twelfth Fret with my numbers and asked if they could/would match it. I told them I would much rather buy locally than import and would they negotiate on their price. I was even willing to pay more if they would a least come close to the U.S. quote - they would not budge a single cent.

I bought it off the U.S. dealer and saved a little over $300.00 CAD. And I'm not talking about a high end Martin either. This was a D-16RGT which I got new for $699.00 USD plus GST & PST (which I would have to pay anyway) plus shipping which was .... wait ..... $55.00! I must admit however, I did get ripped off by UPS which charged me $60.00 for clearing the shipment, something I hadn't counted on. But still considerably better that the $1349.00 that it was selling for here. And that was when the CAD$ was much lower than it is now. I wouldn't hesitate to import a U.S. guitar as long as CAD outlets will not negotiate.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
All of my guitars except one were bought from the US. I have a couple of reliable connections for used gear. And when it comes to used prices, it's almost impossible to match locally. Especially with the strong $. They just have a ton more used gear down there which translates to some crazy deals.

Basically, if you have the option get it shipped USPS. There is a small chance you won't even pay taxes using USPS. I have had 3 guitars get through with no extra fees at all. You can't rely on it, but it does happen. With the couriers it will never happen though. And as mentioned USPS's brokerage fees are a set $5 for any item.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Depending on the value of the guitar you're buying, it might be worth your while to use FedEx overnight service, it's about $150 I think, but it includes the brokerage fees so it's not as bad as it looks.

I bought my Les Paul, used, from the US. The only used 59 Reissue I could find up here was at L&M, they wanted $4500 for it. By the time I landed mine from the US, it worked out to about $3600. So I saved about $900.

When I shipped it to Historic Makeovers, I used one day service both ways. Cost a bit more, but I really don't want my guitar sitting around some warehouse for a couple of days. Cheap insurance IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Brokerage is charged on anything that has to clear customs. It has nothing to do with method of shipping...........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Brokerage is charged on anything that has to clear customs. It has nothing to do with method of shipping...........
Actually, depending on how the sender ships via UPS, brokerage can be covered on their end. Lots of US shipper like UPS because its pretty cheap to use, but they tag the receivers with brokerage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ya get it sent USPS,and with our dollar like it is,now is the time to scoop up as many guitars as you can from the states,before our dollar drops again

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I just received a guitar form the US yesterday, via UPS standard ground service. They charged me $80 for brokerage fee! Pile HST along with that and I had to pass $260 over to the driver to get my package:mad:

Taxes are inevitable, and I don't mind paying them. The brokerage fee was excessive, IMHO, and I will never use UPS again, given a choice. In the past I have never paid more than half of that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Keep in mind that all gibson guitars are distributed by yorksville (in Canada) which in turn deals directly through L&M. So basically the sticker price is the price you're going to pay. So with all gibson products it's more than likely best to buy across the line. That is unless the Canadian distribution matches US prices.
Thats where I'm going to be buying my Explorer.... when I get the funds

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right now prices on Fender products are INSANELY low, the ones that they order now doh..NOT in stock gear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had good success with USPS. Canada Post just collects PST and GST when they arrive. UPS does have the brokerage fee which adds a bit much on top, IMO.

I've bought 4 from the US, 3 came via USPS, the only down side I've had is time and tracking. Sometimes they take a while to get hear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts