The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I needed strings one day and I was at a nearby music store that I don't go to very often. The owner and the music store in general is pretty shady and I don't have a lot of trust in them. However that day I needed strings and was in a bind so in I went.
I was looking for the 3 pack D'addario 10-46 nickel plated.
So they didn't have any but he presented me with this 3 pack Fender strings that came with a free hockey puck. He said they were made by D'addario and were exactly the same as the strings I was looking for.
I can't find any evidence on line to support this claim. Just wondering if any one here might know or did I get duped?

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
There's a pretty good chance that they came from the same factory, but that doesn't make them the same string.

Years ago I worked in a steel foundry that made wear-parts for mining and construction equipment. We also made the off-brand cheapo equivalents for one of our competitors (who we eventually bought). Their sales people would tell the distributors (truthfully) that their parts came from the same factory as our parts, but I can tell you that they were not the same parts. Not even close. Different alloys, different spec, different manufacturing process, different quality control, but similar size and shape.

FWIW you probably only got duped if you paid D'addario prices - hockey puck notwithstanding.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Try them and see. I doubt Fender makes their own strings, most likely a 3rd party makes them to Fender "specs"

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a pretty good chance that they came from the same factory, but that doesn't make them the same string.

Years ago I worked in a steel foundry that made wear-parts for mining and construction equipment. We also made the off-brand cheapo equivalents for one of our competitors (who we eventually bought). Their sales people would tell the distributors (truthfully) that their parts came from the same factory as our parts, but I can tell you that they were not the same parts. Not even close. Different alloys, different spec, different manufacturing process, different quality control, but similar size and shape.

FWIW you probably only got duped if you paid D'addario prices - hockey puck notwithstanding.
One of the reasons I'm skeptical is that the 3 pack Fenders cost me $12. The 3 pack D'addario's are $20, I guess I should have known right there.
As for alloys, they're still nickel plated. Are there lower graded metals that are used on strings that would be cheaper?
Evidence that they may be D'addario. Color coded ball string end exactly like D'addario. Packaged in plastic the same as D'addario.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regular price 13.99 at L&M on SALE for 9.99. Not everyone has every thing on sale. You still got a buck off regular retail price.
I just assumed it was one of those sale deals in perpetuity as there didn't seem to be an "on sale until," date. I've seen some things that say regular price "x" sale price "y' that are advertised that way permanently. Basically to make people think they are getting a great deal on something that is really only worth "y".

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I don't play Fender string but 9.99 for three sets is a good price. I might buy a set myself. The puck I will throw on the street for some kid to find.

Edit; no I won't, only stock in the Oshawa store.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't play Fender string but 9.99 for three sets is a good price. I might buy a set myself. The puck I will throw on the street for some kid to find.

Edit; no I won't, only stock in the Oshawa store.
I got it from the Hamilton store last week and they had a ton when I was there. Never the less the one thing they are good about is transferring from another store.
I guess I should put a set on a guitar and see if they're any good. If they are maybe I'll go down and get a bunch more.

·
Registered
24,368 Posts
So likely the sales guy lied to me. I wouldn't be surprised by that from this music store as the owner is known as a shady guy.

D'Addario Strings : About Us History
I suspect the guy wasn't deliberately trying to deceive. They probably just naively assumed that if the strings came from the same string factory, they were the same thing, and neglected to consider that a single jobber factory could apply different standards or use different materials for different contracts.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I suspect the guy wasn't deliberately trying to deceive. They probably just naively assumed that if the strings came from the same string factory, they were the same thing, and neglected to consider that a single jobber factory could apply different standards or use different materials for different contracts.
Yes normally I wouldn't even question this but the store has been the subject of several discussions in this forum that question their practices.

·
Registered
24,368 Posts
Well let's just say that some retail staff place greater confidence in their own knowledge than maybe they should, and that it can lead to unpleasant or dissatisfying consumer experiences.

I'm reminded of the stereo store where Adam Sandler's friends worked at in "You Don't Mess With the Zohan", telling customers that some product had "Sony guts".

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I got it from the Hamilton store last week and they had a ton when I was there. Never the less the one thing they are good about is transferring from another store.
I guess I should put a set on a guitar and see if they're any good. If they are maybe I'll go down and get a bunch more.
L&M only has strings for $9.99 in Oshawa the rest of their stores are sold out. So really there is no sale for me.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
D'Addario does make the strings for Fender and for many other companies too-like John Pearse. However these other companies specify type of wire etc. I believe they make the strings for Elixer and then ship them to have the coating put on by Gore.

I think the only other US string manufacturer is GHS.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts