The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I have always wondered why there are 10,000 overdrive pedals trying to simulate
tube over driven amps when there are plenty of amps that do that naturally.
G.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
1. I really like high headroom clean amps.
2. I need clean, crunch, and maybe 2 levels of OD/Distortion
3. I don't want to carry 4 amps :)
OK Dave...just trying to make sense out of this...
I dont do the overdrive thing so please bear with me.

1 .Can it be true that your cant get a clean sound from a 50 watt Marshall / all the other similar amps?
2 . Most amps of the kind we are talking about have at least 2 or 3 switchable overdrive settings.
3. You are implying that 4 overdrive pedals will make your amp system sound like 4 different amps.
MAybe at best 4 different overdrive sounds BUT certainly not 4 different amps.

So...what do you have to say to that ???????????? you cant see it but I am smiling right now.
G.

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
OK Dave...just trying to make sense out of this...
I dont do the overdrive thing so please bear with me.

1 .Can it be true that your cant get a clean sound from a 50 watt Marshall / all the other similar amps?
2 . Most amps of the kind we are talking about have at least 2 or 3 switchable overdrive settings.
3. You are implying that 4 overdrive pedals will make your amp system sound like 4 different amps.
MAybe at best 4 different overdrive sounds BUT certainly not 4 different amps.

So...what do you have to say to that ???????????? you cant see it but I am smiling right now.
G.

I tend to prefer Fender cleans, or Boogie cleans, to Marshall cleans. There "are" Marshalls and Boogies out there that have 2 or 3 channels but so far I've not found a Marshall that I like both channels. Boogies have come much closer, in particular the Lone Star Special. But even when I had that I still had one or two OD's/Boosts on my pedal board.

I didn't realize "we" were talking about specific amps :) My SuperSonic is excellent and i could easily get through a gig with just that amp. It is the exception though, and not the rule. It will still not work for everyone, we are all different.

Maybe at best 4 different overdrive sounds BUT certainly not 4 different amps.

No implication intended. What it will give you is four different "flavours" of OD, not 4 different amps. Some will argue that you can get that from just rolling the volume knob on the guitar, all I can say is not at the volumes I'm playing. I do like to roll the volume but it's not going to get me from clean to scream, at least not in my experience.

If I have a 2 channel amp that I like then I can cut down on the number of OD's on the board. I've yet to try a 3 channel amp that was to my liking on all 3 channels.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
super response Dave and much appreciated.
I did not realize that clean sounds come in different flavours.
I've yet to try a 3 channel amp that was to my liking on all 3 channels.
This statement is head scratching to me BUT I will certainly accept your analysis as you obviously play in that tone and I certainly do not.
Thanks again for taking the time.
G.

I tend to prefer Fender cleans, or Boogie cleans, to Marshall cleans. There "are" Marshalls and Boogies out there that have 2 or 3 channels but so far I've not found a Marshall that I like both channels. Boogies have come much closer, in particular the Lone Star Special. But even when I had that I still had one or two OD's/Boosts on my pedal board.

I didn't realize "we" were talking about specific amps :) My SuperSonic is excellent and i could easily get through a gig with just that amp. It is the exception though, and not the rule. It will still not work for everyone, we are all different.

Maybe at best 4 different overdrive sounds BUT certainly not 4 different amps.

No implication intended. What it will give you is four different "flavours" of OD, not 4 different amps. Some will argue that you can get that from just rolling the volume knob on the guitar, all I can say is not at the volumes I'm playing. I do like to roll the volume but it's not going to get me from clean to scream, at least not in my experience.

If I have a 2 channel amp that I like then I can cut down on the number of OD's on the board. I've yet to try a 3 channel amp that was to my liking on all 3 channels.

Reactions: davetcan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts