The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A benefit to raise money for the Vancouver Hospital Foundation.

Hey, you're stuck inside, it's 4/20, it's Devin, what more could you want?

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great stuff - which album would you recommend HD?
He runs between extremes. Being bipolar, he had heavy stuff like Strapping Young Lad for his manic side and a bit mellower stuff (still crunchy, though) like Devin Townsend Project, for his more depressive, introspective side.

SYL: 'City'. 'The New Black', his SYL end-game album was more accessible by SYL standards, and also had a few good. self-effacing pokes at the state of metal from his perspective.

Other Devin projects: I love his 'Ocean Machine: Biomech' album, very early in his 'back and forth' phase. Also, 'Terria' and 'Accelerated Evolution', which were a bit more conceptual.

In the DTP phase, I still love just about every track on 'Addicted'. By that phase, his projects were more consistently conceptual. The 'Ki/Addicted/Deconstruction/Ghost' material was a multi-album concept arc over 2 years. They don't all work for me at the same level, so my preference is really just how I lean. He's far more eclectic than I am.

After his involvement in The Steve Vai project, "Sex and Religion', I followed him and really got into the first SYL album, 'Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing'. My metalhead buddies could not get into it (I tried!!!). Too industrial, too noisy, too much going on. A few years later, they started digging his first live album, which was obviously stripped down from a production point-of-view. Now they could get the music buried in the noise a little more easily. Then they could go back to the earlier SYL stuff and dig it as much as I did. I guess as an early Yes fan, I was more willing to 'put in the effort' to get more complicated, convoluted music.

Good luck and I hope you find something that appeals to you. He has a pretty wide range of material, even leaning towards kinda-country ('Casualties of Cool') or aliens ('Ziltoid'). And, if you don't already know, he is very entertaining live. He never takes himself, or the business, very seriously.

"And music, it's just entertainment, folks!" Earth Day, from the Terria album (just a killer track, IMO).

Reactions: Alex

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Great stuff - which album would you recommend HD?
He runs between extremes. Being bipolar, he had heavy stuff like Strapping Young Lad for his manic side and a bit mellower stuff (still crunchy, though) like Devin Townsend Project, for his more depressive, introspective side.

SYL: 'City'. 'The New Black', his SYL end-game album was more accessible by SYL standards, and also had a few good. self-effacing pokes at the state of metal from his perspective.

Other Devin projects: I love his 'Ocean Machine: Biomech' album, very early in his 'back and forth' phase. Also, 'Terria' and 'Accelerated Evolution', which were a bit more conceptual.

In the DTP phase, I still love just about every track on 'Addicted'. By that phase, his projects were more consistently conceptual. The 'Ki/Addicted/Deconstruction/Ghost' material was a multi-album concept arc over 2 years. They don't all work for me at the same level, so my preference is really just how I lean. He's far more eclectic than I am.

After his involvement in The Steve Vai project, "Sex and Religion', I followed him and really got into the first SYL album, 'Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing'. My metalhead buddies could not get into it (I tried!!!). Too industrial, too noisy, too much going on. A few years later, they started digging his first live album, which was obviously stripped down from a production point-of-view. Now they could get the music buried in the noise a little more easily. Then they could go back to the earlier SYL stuff and dig it as much as I did. I guess as an early Yes fan, I was more willing to 'put in the effort' to get more complicated, convoluted music.

Good luck and I hope you find something that appeals to you. He has a pretty wide range of material, even leaning towards kinda-country ('Casualties of Cool') or aliens ('Ziltoid'). And, if you don't already know, he is very entertaining live. He never takes himself, or the business, very seriously.

"And music, it's just entertainment, folks!" Earth Day, from the Terria album (just a killer track, IMO).
I streamed Addicted - the second half of the album is more appealing to me especially with the female vocalist.

thx for that - cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
High/Deaf - that’s about as perfect a summation as I think could be done. Nice.

if things don’t improve soon, Devin at the Phoenix in Toronto will have been my last concert!

also, look up the 'Retinal Circus' DVD/Blu Ray

Reactions: High/Deaf

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
High/Deaf - that’s about as perfect a summation as I think could be done. Nice.

if things don’t improve soon, Devin at the Phoenix in Toronto will have been my last concert!

also, look up the 'Retinal Circus' DVD/Blu Ray
Re retinal circus, as somone who got into Devin pretty late, it was watching concerts and live footage that really got me into him. It really brings across his intensity and the scope of the music. It turned me from a casual listener, to a fan.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good call, fellas - re: Retinal Circus. Not your average concert.

And yes, I love Anneke, she's added some breadth to his music. A nice balance to his harder edged voice.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This seems appropriate today.

Reactions: Dave B4

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here’s yesterday’s concert. I watched live and the video and audio were out of sync, but he fixed it before he posted this. Some of my favourites in here, including Ziltoid!

Reactions: High/Deaf
1 - 9 of 9 Posts