The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Gibson LP plain top/ Fender AM Pro Strat/ Guild D50
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 MIM Tele: 4 year player. What's the secret to that nasty squeal the pro's get for that split second when they bend? I want to be able to get that sound. Not working for me yet. Need help>

Is it a mini boost? Am I not playing loudly enough?

How could I attend a guitar forum event & B U Y A ROUND OF BEER if I'm the only player who can't get at least one nasty squeal out of a Tele?

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
let the edge of your thumb just barely clip the string just after the pick strikes it. try to do it about half way between the fretted note and the bridge saddle. I tried for years to get that sound until someone finally showed me.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Yeah, you're talking about a pinch harmonic. You'll have to buy something called a pick of destiny from eBay (about $5). That's the only way to do them.

·
Premium Member
Gibson LP plain top/ Fender AM Pro Strat/ Guild D50
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nasty pinch squeal sound - continued. This is probably a "duh" question, but is the pinch squeal only available at the harmonic, or also on the other notes?

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Nasty pinch squeal sound - continued. This is probably a "duh" question, but is the pinch squeal only available at the harmonic, or also on the other notes?
They are artificial harmonics and can be played at any fret. My favorite example of them is Greg Keelor's solo on 5 Days in May.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Looks like JustinGuitars does a great job explaining them. Every guitar and pickups combo is going to have a slightly different "sweet spot".....typically just behind the or in front of the pickup being used, depending on the guitar of course. Once you have the thumb/pick hand pinch technique going, it'll be easy peesy to find your guitars sweet spot(s). There are a couple of different spots usually. Certain string at certain frets (eg: D string at 7th fret), are much easier to get to as well. If you're just beginning this stuff, pay attention to the 5th, 7th, and 12th frets the most at the start and expand from there. Just my opinion of course. Because that's the way I figured it out back in the 80's. When we didn't have these fancy Forums and youtube lessons to get a quick answer....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not easy to do with single coil pickups. Usually a bridge humbucker provides the best response to pick up the pinch harmonics.

I also find they sound better at the natural harmonic position, but can be done anywhere.

This was a couple of tips that helped me learn.

·
Premium Member
17,158 Posts
Not sure about fretless instruments but im confident any fretted stringed instrument can achieve pinch harmonics.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Easier for some. Harder for others. Everyone's thumb, fingers, hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder are different. Try holding the pick differently. Try holding the guitar differently. Try... um... just keep trying, you will get it!

At this this time, I rarely even attempt them. I don't have a lot of meat on the side of my thumb, and half my material requires finger picking (with a huge thumbnail which is great for picking, but it really seems to get in the way of pinching -- I have to grip the pick almost back to the knuckle and push my wrist inward while angling my hand out. Too much work for me).

But, a "real" guitar guitar player needs to master it for sure.

So if you're having more trouble than your buddy, don't worry. Maybe just "luck of the draw". Still fun.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've been fooling around doing harmonics and something like pinch harmonics by putting the side of my thumb of my picking hand on the string while I fingerpick.

Also, you can hold a phantom pick between your thumb and one of your fingers, use your fingernail as a pick, catch the string with the flesh of the finger, which you can spread out a bit with the thumb, or the side of the thumb, which you can spread out with the finger.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
I've been fooling around doing harmonics and something like pinch harmonics by putting the side of my thumb of my picking hand on the string while I fingerpick.

Also, you can hold a phantom pick between your thumb and one of your fingers, use your fingernail as a pick, catch the string with the flesh of the finger, which you can spread out a bit with the thumb, or the side of the thumb, which you can spread out with the finger.
I am gonna try that. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts