The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some Native American groups talk about going on a “vision quest.” I want to hear about your “tone/sound quest”! Where has your journey taken you? What has it involved? What have you done on your quest for tone and what keeps driving your journey? Will it ever stop??

Love to hear your thoughts,
TG

·
Registered
793 Posts
Meh I used to be somewhat obsessed with gear and whatnot, but lately I found myself not being too concerned about it. At this point, any guitar with single coils, a decent tube amp with lots of clean headroom, an od pedal, a chorus and a delay pretty much covers all my needs. That's not to say that I don't enjoy boutique pedals and amps and stuff, but it's just that they're no longer a necessity, I sure wouldn't mind having a Divided by 13 amp, but it doesn't really bug me too much, since I can get by just fine without one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bass players perspective: I used to want the more modern sounding basses and owned a fair number of Peaveys (including several Cirrus', Millenniums, etc), Ibanez's, Yamaha's and what not. In the end I ended up with two Fenders: a 57RI Precision and a Geddy Lee Jazz. Since I have gotten them I haven't lusted after too many basses. I also used to use effects but really trimmed that down as well. I went from a multi-effect processor to a Tech 21 SanSAMP PBDDI, Boss Compressor/Limiter and a Fender Tuner Pedal, all of which goes direct to the FOH and then back to our in-ears. If I am playing a small club or a jam I just plug straight into my Yorkville XS400 Combo and don't worry about anything. One benefit is that I now focus more on the playing than the gear which has allowed me to improve more as a player. Will I get more basses? Probably. But only if the tone really strikes me and they are easy on the back :D. It's amazing but after playing for so long ergonomics do become important. My Precision is an amazingly light bass and well balanced which make it really comfortable to play. Sound great with rounds or flats. I guess I just like simple when it comes to tone.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I equate my "tone quest" to that of a blind man in the desert. I just stumble around until i find something i like. I usually buy gear on a whim and have surprisingly been happy with all my purchases. However recently i got rid of my Ampeg 8x10 and got a fender 4x10 and have loved the switch, it's much more bright and punchy.

My gear is mostly "middle of the road" type stuff, firstly i don't have the money to build a $4000 rig and secondly i've found a tone i enjoy using the stuff i have. My gear(not including pedals) is comprised of Ibanez, Peavey and Fender, excluding the latter they aren't generally considered "pro" but i'm more than happy(for the moment :D ) with the sounds i can coerce out of my rig and haven't settled or said "that's good enough". The one key component to my setup is the Tech21 Sansamp Programmable Bass DI, that is the one piece of gear that i can't see myself giving up.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The one key component to my setup is the Tech21 Sansamp Programmable Bass DI, that is the one piece of gear that i can't see myself giving up.
Our bass player got one about 6 months ago. He absolutely loves it and the tone and sound he gets now is incredible (it was really good before), but this pedal is like the cherry on top of the parfait. It would be the last thing he would get rid of.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Our bass player got one about 6 months ago. He absolutely loves it and the tone and sound he gets now is incredible (it was really good before), but this pedal is like the cherry on top of the parfait. It would be the last thing he would get rid of.

I absolutely love it, best pedal i've ever owned. It's amazing how it can give the instrument a vintage sound or whatever you need. I love the overdrive as well, from mild to obscene it does a great job.

Plus i got it for an absolute steal so it's all the better :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
being a student I'm definitely too broke on any such quest. There's certainly a few boutique amps I wouldn't mind having (soldano SLO and a Kingsley) but that's a long way away...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I love to play Skynyrd,CCR,ZZ Top,Steve Earle,Eagles,etc.
To really nail the different tones involved, I've come to own the gear in my signature list. It covers them all beautifully. My Fender G-Dec amp is an amazing piece of kit with plenty of controls to tweak each song into a dreamy practice session.
All I can say is..Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, friends!! :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
163 Posts
The one key component to my setup is the Tech21 Sansamp Programmable Bass DI, that is the one piece of gear that i can't see myself giving up.
They are definitely going to have to pry mine from my cold dead hands :D

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i spent way too many years thinking that my "sound" could be achieved with pedals.

lately i have been discovering the sound of the guitar and the amp. it is a joyful discovery.

-dh

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is interesting that a few of you mention "your sound." Is this a sound you hear in your head that you then try to achieve? How did "that sound" get their? How do you know it is "yours"? How do you make it real?

Very interesting responses so far, thanks
TG

·
Registered
163 Posts
It is interesting that a few of you mention "your sound." Is this a sound you hear in your head that you then try to achieve? How did "that sound" get their? How do you know it is "yours"? How do you make it real?

TG

I think that sound is an amalgam of sounds I like when listening to music. It is also a changing sound, over a long period of time. For example the epitome of "THE" bass sound for me in the 70's was close to what Chris Squire sounded like with Yes. Now that has evolved to more of a Allen Woody/Andy Hess type of sound. But I don't try to consciously sound exactly like them - I just take them as an influence and catalogue that as part of the sound I would like to achieve. In the end I try to create a sound that both pleases me and serves the songs I play/write.

To make my sound a reality it took some experimentation before I realized it really came from the hands when playing a passive bass. I think the key is to explore all kinds of different sounds and see what speaks to you.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts

TG

...my concept of what "my sound" is changes every time i pick up a guitar. and every time i listen to another player.

-dh

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a long way to go. I've just recently in the past couple years been more aware of other stuff that's out there besides Fender and Gibson. It kinda drives me crazy seeing some beautiful guitars by guitar makers at reasonable prices. I don't have the guts to just buy something without playing it, and for all I know it could be trash or a Les Paul Custom quality guitar for thousands less.

I used to overlook amps, just got something loud with a name plate I recognized. I almost think having the best amp and a $300 guitar is better than having the best guitar and a $300 amp now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used to overlook amps, just got something loud with a name plate I recognized. I almost think having the best amp and a $300 guitar is better than having the best guitar and a $300 amp now.
+1000 What a difference a good amp can make. I have started thinking more about replacing mine with something much better for that reason alone.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
+1000 What a difference a good amp can make. I have started thinking more about replacing mine with something much better for that reason alone.

...that is the direction in which i am heading, as well. i'm done with the pedal thing (radial tonebone do it all) and i have six electrics that eric at the arts in newmarket has turned into top notch players.

my traynor ycv40wr does everything i could want an amp to do, so it might be very interesting to find out what more sophisticated amps have to offer.

-dh

·
Registered
163 Posts
One option that is on my radar is Markbass amps. They sound like they are a worthy contender to Ampeg and GK.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
...that is the direction in which i am heading, as well. i'm done with the pedal thing (radial tonebone do it all) and i have six electrics that eric at the arts in newmarket has turned into top notch players.

my traynor ycv40wr does everything i could want an amp to do, so it might be very interesting to find out what more sophisticated amps have to offer.

-dh

Or less sophisticated ones...I use a Dr.Z Z 28 and a Route 66. Three knobs, very simple amps. You cant make them sound bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts