The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the dentist. She and her team are amazing. I asked the girl at the counter if there is a record of my total expenditures. She said I started with them in 2008 and I have spent $13,800 to date. I have always looked after my teeth really well. My teeth look good, but should that not be part of the Canadian health care?

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I just got back from the dentist. She and her team are amazing. I asked the girl at the counter if there is a record of my total expenditures. She said I started with them in 2008 and I have spent $13,800 to date. I have always looked after my teeth really well. My teeth look good, but should that not be part of the Canadian health care?
But I thought you didn't like to pay tax? Or have you become a tax paying robot this week ...

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
Yes, you should really look in to self-dentistry. I mean, really, how hard can it be.

And you won't see it, except for that once a fortnight shower/brushing.

upload_2018-2-14_5-19-9.jpeg

Reactions: gtone
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I thought you didn't like to pay tax? Or have you become a tax paying robot this week ...
I can see you are really wanting to insult me, but you missed. Could be your rotten tooth mouth has you delirious.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
It's covered under employer benefits usually. For self employed, there are benefits plans that you can subscribe to as well. That said, obviously a good field to get into, so if your kids are good in science, they might want to consider dentistry.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Dental treatment is seldom life-sustaining, or avoiding it life threatening, and conditions seldom limit a person’s activities of daily living.
Doesn’t sound like healthcare to me.
(Coming from the province that didn’t even have an official dental fee guide for the last 20 years...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dental treatment is seldom life-sustaining, or avoiding it life threatening, and conditions seldom limit a person’s activities of daily living.
Doesn’t sound like healthcare to me.
(Coming from the province that didn’t even have an official dental fee guide for the last 20 years...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dental treatment is life sustaining. Tooth decay bacteria travels from the mouth and sets up shop in vital organs like the heart. Try getting a good job with black rotten teeth. Or eating with sore teeth.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
As a cardiac patient I have been told on many occasions, from multiple sources, that dental care is imperative, as infections starting in the mouth can have serious cardiac consequences.

But I'm fortunate in having a dental plan. Not all do. The question of subsidized dental coverage is a tricky one. Much like we see stateside, where change from an employer-provided coverage is difficult to disconnect from, I suspect it would be similarly difficult to detach from the system currently in place.

That said, and since my wife insists on doing our taxes, are trips to the dentist deductable as medical expenses? If so, perhaps the solution lies in modifying the extent of deduction for those who do have to pay their own way. Of course, that still leaves the hurdle of what the individual has to pay up front. Knowing that you're getting money back in a year is not exactly an incentive for those on a too-modest income.

I've had the same dentist for something like 20 years, now. What persuaded me to remain with him was a bad molar I had to have removed. Lying back in the chair, I asked how it was going. "It's already out", he replied. "Whaddya mean, it's already out?", I asked. He picks up the tooth and shows me. When someone can remove a tooth from your face and you dont even feel it, THAT's the sort of dentist you want to stay with.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
I'm on a surgery waiting list (knee replacements) and one of the hurdles I had to jump to get on that list was a signed clearance from my dentist saying my teeth were in good shape, no infections.
It is important.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A couple of times I have had women check my teeth before they hooked up with me. All that brushing and flossing can pay off.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
My wife has been a dental assistant for 20+ years so dental health is a big deal around our house. In fact, when we started dating it didn't take long before she booked me in to her dentist for a checkup as I hadn't been in quite sometime...like most 20 something single guys...and have been going regularly ever since. Nothing like having your new girlfriend clean your teeth...hubba, hubba!

And, yes, mouth infections are serious business...please floss REALLY well after eating popcorn...my wife has several horror stories about kids (she worked for dentists who specialized in treating kids) showing up with life-threatening infections because of popcorn husks that don't get removed from the gums and eventually rot and decay and cause infections.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Since dentistry is self-governing, where they set their fees and guidelines, I would doubt that there would be any support from any of the Dental Associations to bring it under the jurisdiction of provincial/federal health care and see the same kind of fee and practice limits imposed on MDs.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since dentistry is self-governing, where they set their fees and guidelines, I would doubt that there would be any support from any of the Dental Associations to bring it under the jurisdiction of provincial/federal health care and see the same kind of fee and practice limits imposed on MDs.
Govt can do it even if dentists don't like it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cap dentist's salaries at $15/ hr. See how they like it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Since my previous family doctor left his practice a few months back, I have been unable to find a new family doctor in my community. Whether it's a shortage or they don't want to work here, who knows.
I've "applied" at more than one practice and I'm still waiting.
Dentists, on the other hand, seem to be a dime a dozen. I'd rather have plenty of choices versus what is going on with doctors.
Very likely government restrictions, rules, whatever, are in play here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts