The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a DRRI Drool from a guy but I found that when idle (not playing) I can hear a bit of a rumble in the speaker - kinda sounds like a bad connection or something. It's not very loud and it can only be heard at low volumes. When cranked you just hear the static/noise or whatever you call it from the gain.

Could it be a blown speaker? Or something else?

This guy seems to think it's normal. He wants $600 for the amp. HELP

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys. I bought it. Just love that amp. As for the noise issue. When I use the combo speaker and lean down in front of the DRRI I can hear what sounds like basic "white noise". When I unhook the combo speaker and hook it up to a 1x12 cab and there is no noise at all.

When I'm playing, the combo speaker sounds unbelievable with single coils and humbuckers on a clean setting. When the volume hits 4 it starts to break up and can be a little fizzy.

Could it be that the speaker is just very bright sounding? What does an amp sound like when the speaker is damaged???

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So...the fizziness was just the speaker being too bright. Sounds great with a Tone Tubby. That rumble still remains. As soon as I take it off standby there is a very distant "white noise" effect happening. It's definitely not the speaker.

Also I noticed that if I lightly (very lightly) tap the back of the amp on the tube protector board (sorry, I know, that's not what it's called) I can hear it through the speaker. This happens when I tap near the area where the preamp and power tubes meet up.

The amp saw a lot of use before I got it but was in fantastic cosmetic condition. It was gigged about twice a week for the past few years. I'm wondering if the power tubes could be a little worn or one of the tube is "microphonic" - don't exactly know what that means but I think the word means somewhat noisy! lol.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks WildBill. I do have an extra Tungsol 12AX7 I could throw in there as well as some others (EHX, GT Sovtek, and maybe even a JJ).

Any idea about the "white noise" issue?

As for the Tungsol sounding terrible in certain amps. I concur. I threw one in V1 of a Peavey Delta Blues but the buzzing drove me nuts. It sounded horrible. Then I threw it into an Epi VJ and WOW! Sweet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts