The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the sound of my 2006 Deluxe with the metal nut, with it's little ball bearings, but, there is always a but, there is absolutely no adjustment, and it really needs to come down, even after removing the shims provided.
so I did what all reasonably intelligent guitar addicts would do, wrote to fender, then got on the chat line they have.
Fender solution, grind material off the bottom until it fits.
now if you haven't seen one, there is a thin metal of some sort holding the balls in place, not magnetic, in fact the only magnetic part are the bearings,
thin little retainer would not last long, bearings would not be retained.
just sitting here head shaking slowly, someone needs professional help
could be me, can't figure out how to upload pics from photobucket
can't figure out how this person got a job at fender,
can figure out how to make a bone nut or a brass one
leaning towards brass for now

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I love the brass nut on my Gibson Victory Standard bass. Open notes sound great. Not sure if the guitar versions had them too.

A few years back there was a dude on ebay selling prefab brass nuts. They were not expensive and I grabbed one for another instrument. That would be a good place to start vs making one yourself (unless you want to), but measure up your instrument and it's current nut first - they provided detailed specs so you could be sure of a good fit; few different sizes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the brass nut on my Gibson Victory Standard bass. Open notes sound great. Not sure if the guitar versions had them too.

A few years back there was a dude on ebay selling prefab brass nuts. They were not expensive and I grabbed one for another instrument. That would be a good place to start vs making one yourself (unless you want to), but measure up your instrument and it's current nut first - they provided detailed specs so you could be sure of a good fit; few different sizes.
I have a full shop in my basement, woodworking and metalworking, easy and fun for me, have made some brass saddles as well, just to hear the differences, it's nice to be retired!

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
So, what you have is called an LSR nut, used on Am Dlx strats from about '00 to '06. They replaced the earlier Wilkinson metal nuts on Strat Pluses when the Pluses became Am Dlx's.
If the nut sits too high in the slot (even with the shims removed), why wouldn't you simply file down the slot in the fretboard?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts