The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
My band's playing there next Thursday. RIP (what on earth will Dan Burke do for a living now?); many good times at that place on and off the stage.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
My band's playing there next Thursday. RIP (what on earth will Dan Burke do for a living now?); many good times at that place on and off the stage.

I think one pedal per loop might have helped the tone in this situation...;)

wtf? That one guy took an el kabong that must have left him concussed....scary stupid stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Naw, the guitard was a pussy - looks bad but he hardly put his back into it. Check out his punches; looks like he never threw one before. Also Dan, say what you will about him (they certainly did), has been in a few scraps; he can take a hit. He walked out of the washrooms a few minutres later (at one point there was a second vid) after checking he wasn't banged up too bad.

Lotta people don't like him (I've heard the stories, but he never punked me), but I do get the impression that many people just jumped on that bandwagon cause it was cool to rag on him at the time. He had some problems and his low points were a little too public.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Naw, the guitard was a pussy - looks bad but he hardly put his back into it. Check out his punches; looks like he never threw one before. Also Dan, say what you will about him (they certainly did), has been in a few scraps; he can take a hit.

Lotta people don't like him (I've heard the stories, but he never punked me), but I do get the impression that many people just jumped on that bandwagon cause it was cool to rag on him at the time. He had some problems and his low points were a little too public.
I thought Dan Burke was one of the band members. So this is a routine thing!

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Nope - there was a dispute about load in or set times or something (maybe it was one of those nights where they did the blues guys early and then flipped over for the indie/punk kids late show - I played a few like that). So Hospitals set up off stage and just started playing while another band was on stage. That's why Dan (booker) came up to the mic there at the begining before the drummer suckered him and then got owned.

It was a real weird period of violence at shows - it was about the time when Jay Reatard played the Dollar and punched an audience member for something, don't quite remember now. ... ah:

Jay Reatard Punches Audience Member, Walks Out On Show | Chart Attack

I also remember some asshat on stage taking a run at a pint glass on the edge of the stage and kicking it at the crowd. Naturally it shattered and sprayed everywhere - lucky nobody hurt, I was just off to the side of that and absolutely livid at the irresponsible stupidity and lack of forsight on that one.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Nope - there was a dispute about load in or set times or something (maybe it was one of those nights where they did the blues guys early and then flipped over for the indie/punk kids late show - I played a few like that). So Hospitals set up off stage and just started playing while another band was on stage. That's why Dan (booker) came up to the mic there at the begining before the drummer suckered him and then got owned.

It was a real weird period of violence at shows - it was about the time when Jay Reatard played the Dollar and punched an audience member for something, don't quite remember now. ... ah:

Jay Reatard Punches Audience Member, Walks Out On Show | Chart Attack

I also remember some asshat on stage taking a run at a pint glass on the edge of the stage and kicking it at the crowd. Naturally it shattered and sprayed everywhere - lucky nobody hurt, I was just off to the side of that and absolutely livid at the irresponsible stupidity and lack of forsight on that one.
It's a wonder why live music and venues are going the way of the Dodo.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Dan Burke happenned. Really, all that was the sensational stuff; I played and attended hundreds of shows there without any such incidents. Great venue and the sound was awesome (at least while Vlad was doing it). Also, who else in Toronto provides any backline at all?

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.