The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've probably all seen at least several Kijiji ads stipulating that "lowballers will be ignored". But it's not really clear what folks consider to be a lowballer. Given that some gear holds value, some depreciates, and some accrues value, it would be a foolhardy mission to state a categorical universal definition or criteria for "lowball".

Still, I'm curious about how folks arrive at their personal sense of a lowball offer. There are more obvious cases I think we'd all agree on ("I'll give you $10 for that '54 Strat"). But in between the posted selling price of the item and the ridiculous, there is a grey range where making a few bucks less starts to turn into an offer the seller considers insulting or exploitative.

So, do you identify "lowball", relative to the price you're asking, relative to what you paid for the item, relative to what your scan suggests such items go for, some combination of the above, or some other criteria?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Personally, when I do finally go to sell something, it is because I want to move it so my asking price is fair and usually minimal negotiating room, 5-10% of the ask depending on the value. I do state up front so I pretty much consider anything less than about 90% of the asking price not worth entertaining.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Like you say it's a grey area that's pretty subjective but my personal sliding scale runs about anything lower than 80% of what I'm asking. This changes based on what the generally accepted value of the item is (another grey area, I know) and how much the seller makes the transaction easy. I've said things along the lines of "my acceptance of an offer is more flexible if contact info and a firm commitment is made" In other words I don't want a pen pal who's on a fishing expedition for a give away deal asking a series of stupid questions (I try to be thorough in the ad description) but I may consider a somewhat deeper lowering of the asking price if the potential buyer makes the transaction quick and easy. A "I'll give you x$ today" offer will be more considered if it includes contact information. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for these initial replies. Keep 'em coming. Although it wasn't my intent, I also think the responses here may help folks arrive at more amicable deals with Kijiji vendors, by being able to avoid the appearance of being a "lowballer". Always good to know when one is inadvertently stepping on toes.

Er, before you step on them, not after.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
I personally don't get people's annoyance with low ballers. If its a ridiculously low offer I can ignore it. No big deal. If I don't like a particular offer I can simply say no. I'm of the opinion that most low ballers aren't really interested so usually just ignoring them, they'll go away. It can get a little annoying letting your self get sucked in to an interaction with a potential buyer that tries to justify their offer. But then I usually end it with, "If it doesn't sell at my expected price I'll just keep it".
For me I don't usually low ball but I might try a bit of a lowball on something I'm interested in to see if I kind find the floor on what the seller wants. If it offends them then maybe I don't want to deal with them anyway. If its something I really want and I feel its fairly priced I may try for a slight discount and in the end would just pay asking price.
If I see something that I feel is way over inflated I don't even bother with it.
I've seen many ads on kijiji where sellers think they can get an over inflated value. An example is someone selling a 52 reissue tele as "Just like new", then they've got a price as that of a new one minus the tax. To me a used guitar should be less than retail minus tax. But I'm not going to bother arguing with them about it.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
I try and post prices that are in line with market prices. So if MIM Strats are selling used for 450.00, thats where i start. I wont post a 700.00 price and dicker with the buyer. Will accept about 10% off the asking price depending on how much of a rush i am in. I wont go to Kijiji anymore because of all the comments and e-mails so if i cant sell it here, i will trade it in.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
They don't really bug me either...I just ignore them.

I had one clown make a lowball offer under one email, then send me a reasonable offer under his buddy's email when I ignored the first one. When he showed up to make the buy, I realized it was the original low ball guy :)

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
When I advertise my price, it is pretty much what I want. I research what I am selling and make sure my price is competitive. Anything over 5% lower simply gets ignored for I know I will get my price.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
It all depends. Sometimes the sellers Price is reasonable, sometimes it's ridiculous. Why do we automatically assume it's the buyer that lowballs ?
If people ask stupid prices they should be prepared to get stupid offers.
I don't have to lowball, but occasionally I'll see something I like, I'll throw an offer of what I feel I pay for it and if it sticks I get a deal. If not no harm no foul.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It all depends. Sometimes the sellers Price is reasonable, sometimes it's ridiculous. Why do we automatically assume it's the buyer that lowballs ?
If people ask stupid prices they should be prepared to get stupid offers.
I don't have to lowball, but occasionally I'll see something I like, I'll throw an offer of what I feel I pay for it and if it sticks I get a deal. If not no harm no foul.
This... sometimes the asking price is simply ridiculous and out of touch with reality.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
When I advertise my price, it is pretty much what I want. I research what I am selling and make sure my price is competitive. Anything over 5% lower simply gets ignored for I know I will get my price.
If I'm open to offers I list my price or best offer. But if my price is firm I say so. If somebody lowballs me on a firm price I simply repeat the price is firm.
But like you, I usually list something priced to sell. I don't want to deal with a list of Kijijiots.

I also don't haggle the shit out of people. If the price is reasonable, I pay and go. I'm not going to nickel and dime someone. Hagglers annoy the hell out of me so I don't do it anybody else

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If its a ridiculously low offer I can ignore it.
See ... I never thought of not answering a low offer, even if it's just a plain NO. So when I do make a low offer (not a stupid low), I'm pissed if the seller don't answer back.

It's like sellers who you ask a few questions about the product and they only answer one. I am presently dealing with a hot tub cover maker, that only answer my e-mails after the second one asking if he received it. Yeah I know, you'll say, shop somewhere else, but nobody else makes custom shapes like what I need. So I bear with him.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I also find myself outlining all the acceptable parameters of a deal in the ad lately.
Price - If it say's firm it's firm
If I don't say it's firm I usually (but not always) say "best reasonable offer" (again appealing to the potential buyer not to be a dick)
Availability - If the ad's up it's still available. (I don't really mind people asking as long as they show intent to buy as in "if it's still available call me at....." Unfortunately it's usually just a one liner "you still have it?" with no commitment to engage.
It may come across as very terse but it filters out a lot of nonsense.

All that said, Kijiji, as we all know can be a weird place for both buyers and sellers. I understand and agree with a certain amount of caution when communicating with people you don't know with the intent on either going to their place, them coming to yours or meeting in a neutral location. A bit of back and forth is a good thing to establish as best one can the other's intentions or to get a vibe as to whether to deal with them or not in person. One has to be careful.

My wish and intent is to facilitate a purchase or sale as quickly and efficiently as possible to the mutual satisfaction of both buyer and seller.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
See ... I never thought of not answering a low offer, even if it's just a plain NO. So when I do make a low offer (not a stupid low), I'm pissed if the seller don't answer back.
If I've got an amp or guitar I'm asking $2,000 (assuming I've researched and priced fairly) and someone offers $1,000, yeah I'm going to ignore it. I won't get pissed off at the offer and I don't care if the lowballer gets pissed at the no response.

·
Premium Member
13,287 Posts
My standard Kijiji line is "Lowballers will be laughed at vigorously and then ignored" I generally consider a lowballer as someone who makes an offer that is lower enough that I think "**** You" and laugh.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
A Lowball is a offer well below the posted asking price. That is why I don't advertise anything OBO. I post at a reasonable market value and that is the price. Price is firm no if's ands or but's. Cuts out a lot of the BS.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts